Disco 2 Front Blower Fan and Resistor

Started by B-Red, November 23, 2020, 12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B-Red

My front blower fan stopped working on my Disco 2 1999. I replaced the fan but it still does not work. So, I am assuming the resistor is the next item to check. Does anybody have a spare part for a used resistor. Part number is JGN100010G. I can pick up within Edmonton area.
Emad

binch

Cheers, Bill

Matt H

I would check the connector close to the heater motor itself, passenger side near the kick panel. The terminals heat up and degrade causing increased resistance and a non operational fan.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

B-Red

Quote from: Matt H on November 24, 2020, 10:06 AM
I would check the connector close to the heater motor itself, passenger side near the kick panel. The terminals heat up and degrade causing increased resistance and a non operational fan.
I connected the new fan free style to the plug and still did not work. Fuses are ok. After talking to Malcom he said that the resistor would fail if there was a motor short. I am going to investigate this next.
I am going through the RAVE electrical schematics as well. I see that the relay and switch could be a potential spots as well.

Red90

Is the resistor in the circuit on high speed?

B-Red

Quote from: Red90 on November 25, 2020, 11:25 AM
Is the resistor in the circuit on high speed?
It's different than Disco one. There are three resistors for Disco 2. Two resistors are in series. Still deciphering the schematics

Red90

https://discoii.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/d2_electricalcircuitdiagrams_2000.pdf

Page 38.5

High speed does not use the resistor pack. Check out the relay R176 first and power on either side of it.  Note the switching is on the ground side.

You cannot view this attachment.

Matt H

If it runs on high only it's the resistor.
I'll pretty much bet it's the connector. I've run up against this one on three or four different D2s so far. It's not the one the motor plugs into. It's further back along the harness. It's a neutral colour if memory serves?
It will make you chase your tail a little because if you check it with a DVOM it will show system voltage making you think it's the motor. However it's possible for a circuit to have voltage but no amperage.
Check it again with a significant load (like an old sealed beam headlight) and you get very low voltage. Sometimes it pops the fuse, sometimes not.

I usually just cut out the connector and hardwire it. Problem solved!

B-Red

Thank you John for the documents. I have them in my database.
Matt I will check the connector downstream from the fan connector. I found the 40Amp fuse in the engine damaged. I replaced it but no luck. I don't get fan at all.
I have to remove the glove compartment to get more access.
Kind of frustrating when you wanna go hunting!!!

Matt H

I'll probably be driving a D2 that had this issue tomorrow. If I get the chance I'll take a picture of the offending connector and post it for ya.

B-Red

Quote from: Matt H on November 26, 2020, 07:59 PM
I'll probably be driving a D2 that had this issue tomorrow. If I get the chance I'll take a picture of the offending connector and post it for ya.
Is it behind the switches console or behind the resistor from the footwell?

Matt H

Sorry Emad, last week went a bit sideways on me but hopefully this picture will help.

You are looking under the dash on the passenger side. Remove the cardboard trim panel and to the right you should see a connector with two thick wires per side. One black. One red and brown, although colours may vary by model year.

In classic Blue Peter "and here's one I made earlier" fashion you will notice the two blue, heat shrink butt connectors replacing the afore mentioned damaged factory connector. 

B-Red

Quote from: Matt H on December 02, 2020, 09:48 PM
Sorry Emad, last week went a bit sideways on me but hopefully this picture will help.

You are looking under the dash on the passenger side. Remove the cardboard trim panel and to the right you should see a connector with two thick wires per side. One black. One red and brown, although colours may vary by model year.

In classic Blue Peter "and here's one I made earlier" fashion you will notice the two blue, heat shrink butt connectors replacing the afore mentioned damaged factory connector.
Thank you Matt. I see this assembly on the right hand side from the fan. I got fair weather over next few days. I will look for them. I already have this area opened up. Much appreciated. Emad