A shameless plug for DOM-16 coating

Started by ugly_90, October 20, 2020, 07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly_90

I seem to have continued success with DOM-16, a Canadian competitor to POR-15, available at NAPA for about half the cost of the POR.

I've done quite a few pieces here, and it's worked well. The DOM-16 is available in black, grey, and white. I hope to interchange it with the accessories from POR. I've been using metal prep, and plan to use the POR primer next, for painting the DOM-16

Not useful for UV exposure, the POR and DOM automotive coatings are single part paint, rather than a potentially even harder two-part like Endura or others.

After proper preparation, the DOM can be applied directly to rusted steel, although I always choose to blast, then chemically remove all rust before doing any coating.

Alex C

i have had good success with Por 15, apart from getting the lid of the can

Going to try some endura next, have some satin black and some white, plus a fresh can of activator, best thing about endura, Made In Edmonton

D90 200Tdi     67 S2a 88"

binch

Quote from: Alex C on October 21, 2020, 08:40 PM
i have had good success with Por 15, apart from getting the lid of the can

Going to try some endura next, have some satin black and some white, plus a fresh can of activator, best thing about endura, Made In Edmonton

Got my axles painted in that!  Good stuff ;)
Cheers, Bill

bumpydormobile

I painted the rims o the Dormobile with Endura 20 years ago and they still look great! and like Alex said... buy local

mike.heathcote

I went with a single stage Endura on my blue Series 2 as well.  It laid down really nice, and they were able to color match for me, too. 
Definitely going back when I paint the red one! 

Already a Rover

Noted! 

I finally couldn't get a seal on my last can of POR15 about a month ago, but saved enough to re-coat and paint my brake fluid reservoir last week when it got above freezing.

(Where did I get the idea POR-15 would not stick to clean metal?)

It the DOM-16 basically the same, messy stuff?

Jim

Trevor

Quote from: Already a Rover on December 28, 2020, 07:59 PM
Noted! 

I finally couldn't get a seal on my last can of POR15 about a month ago, but saved enough to re-coat and paint my brake fluid reservoir last week when it got above freezing.

(Where did I get the idea POR-15 would not stick to clean metal?)

It the DOM-16 basically the same, messy stuff?

Jim

The POR-15 comes in spray cans as well which is quite handy. Not sure about the DOM product, I've not used it.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

ugly_90

I have alot of spraytips at work on rattle cans that gum up. Guys don't properly clean them before putting away. I keep a small container of used spraytips when I use up a can, they're handy to have on hand.

If you get any paint inside the lip of the POR/DOM, you might not get it open again. I bought a dozen empty 1/4 pint paint cans for decanting DOM into, and work from those.

The liquid paint is likely cheaper than spray can, and will flow better into any gaps, or flow under seams in sheetmetal. The spraycan might be handy to have on hand for hidden areas.

ugly_90

The POR-15 comes in spray cans as well which is quite handy. Not sure about the DOM product, I've not used it.
[/quote]

Where can I find the POR-15 rust preventative coating in spray cans? I could use one. It doesn't show on their website, only the brush cans. Their POR-15 high-heat coating is available in a spraycan, but that's not the coating I'm using here.

mike.heathcote

I should mention, too... if your truck spends a lot of time in the sun, consider putting some clearcoat over top.  The clear gives some UV protection, so the shine and color will hold better over time. 

Trevor

Quote from: ugly_90 on December 31, 2020, 09:25 AM

Where can I find the POR-15 rust preventative coating in spray cans? I could use one. It doesn't show on their website, only the brush cans. Their POR-15 high-heat coating is available in a spraycan, but that's not the coating I'm using here.

Dan at 4Wheel Wholesale on Argyl usually has it on the shelf. If not he can get it in quickly.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

ugly_90

I spoke to a fellow in Edmonton, and the story is different than I expected.

They're selling "POR-15 Top Coat" in spray bombs and applying direct to bare metal/(previous surface?). That's a top coat. It says it's rated for direct to metal.

From POR-15's website about Top Coat:
" Bare Steel or Aluminum: Clean and prep surface then let dry thoroughly. For ultimate protection apply POR-15 Rust Preventive Coating after surface preparation and then apply POR-15 Top Coat. "

The Rust Preventative coating doesn't seem to be available in spray bombs from either POR or DOM. The top coat may be used, but is the next best thing. POR15 primer is available in spraycans too. A NAPA paint shop I went to years ago could put any paint you bought from them in spraybombs for a $5 charge or so, maybe thats the local fix.

ugly_90

Thanks for the lead, CAPS was way less than everyone else for spraycans of POR-15 Top Coat. The few places I called in Edmonton wanted $40-$55/can, with some charging an additional $20 to get it in.

CAPS was $26.40 for the spraycan of primer, and $27.72 for the spraycan topcoat. I'm now awaiting a quote for them on my 1-quarts of DOM-16 too.

C.A.P.S 11246 163 St NW, Edmonton, AB T5M 1Y6

ugly_90

Nope. Cancel that last message.

I had a quote from caps, only to call back to order and learn that they can't order it in, and hadn't for many years. They had a distributor problem years ago, and the trading is now very light on that commodity. POR15 is dead to me.

I am done with POR. I might buy my one $40 spraycan of black topcoat, but that's all. DOM-16 from here on, good luck with the POR, I'm out.

We use two-part Endura at work as well as Cloverdale's version for industrial equipment. It makes sense on bigger jobs, but would be a bit of a waste of material doing a bracket here or there every other week in a hobby.