New member / soon to be Defender owner

Started by spartree, September 12, 2020, 03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

Quote from: spartree on September 15, 2020, 12:15 PM
Quote from: grizzlychicken on September 14, 2020, 10:46 PM
Welcome and nice looking rig you have there! Good luck with the transport. Looks like you have plenty of advice. When mine was shipped by cn rail it wouldn't start to drive it off so they thought it would be a good idea to ad some gas to see if that would help. Not so much help for the td5 engine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, that sucks. The DIESEL sticker is still on my truck next to the fuel cap so hopefully that isn't an issue for me. The gearing diagram is pretty much worn off the gear knob though, so I cringe to think what might happen when someone who is not familiar with Defenders tries to drive it.

If you have an immobilizer on the vehicle (common in the UK, because these things are frequently stolen), make sure the freight forwarding company that is destuffing the container is aware of that.

Livingston International handled the shipment of my Defender via sea-can. It arrived in the port of Vancouver, and the mouth-breathers responsible for handling it couldn't get it started (it had an immobilizer...right on the key chain, labelled with bright yellow sticky), then tried a bunch of things that only made the situation worse, ultimately causing a diesel spill in CN's yard. Their incompetence extended well past that as I tried to work with them to get the problem sorted out. They were supposed to deliver the vehicle to my door, but I ultimately had to fly out to Vancouver, spend half a day troubleshooting all the problems they caused, and finally get the vehicle running and drive it home from there.

Immobilizer or not, stay on top of your freight forwarder. Sometimes these go off without a hitch, sometimes not. When the latter, you want to get in front of the problem before they do too much damage.

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

spartree

Quote from: Trevor on September 16, 2020, 09:11 AM
Welcome and nice looking rig you have there! Good luck with the transport. Looks like you have plenty of advice. When mine was shipped by cn rail it wouldn't start to drive it off so they thought it would be a good idea to ad some gas to see if that would help. Not so much help for the td5 engine!

Man, that sucks. The DIESEL sticker is still on my truck next to the fuel cap so hopefully that isn't an issue for me. The gearing diagram is pretty much worn off the gear knob though, so I cringe to think what might happen when someone who is not familiar with Defenders tries to drive it.

If you have an immobilizer on the vehicle (common in the UK, because these things are frequently stolen), make sure the freight forwarding company that is destuffing the container is aware of that.

Livingston International handled the shipment of my Defender via sea-can. It arrived in the port of Vancouver, and the mouth-breathers responsible for handling it couldn't get it started (it had an immobilizer...right on the key chain, labelled with bright yellow sticky), then tried a bunch of things that only made the situation worse, ultimately causing a diesel spill in CN's yard. Their incompetence extended well past that as I tried to work with them to get the problem sorted out. They were supposed to deliver the vehicle to my door, but I ultimately had to fly out to Vancouver, spend half a day troubleshooting all the problems they caused, and finally get the vehicle running and drive it home from there.

Immobilizer or not, stay on top of your freight forwarder. Sometimes these go off without a hitch, sometimes not. When the latter, you want to get in front of the problem before they do too much damage.

I am sufficiently terrified now haha. But I definitely appreciate hearing about these experiences. The truck does have an immobilizer.
E Silva Surrexi

grizzlychicken

Quote from: spartree on September 16, 2020, 10:16 AM
Quote from: Trevor on September 16, 2020, 09:11 AM

I am sufficiently terrified now haha. But I definitely appreciate hearing about these experiences. The truck does have an immobilizer.
Yup the lack of start for mine on the train was the immobilizer too. Funny that jumping it didn't help :) in the yard when I picked it up it was full of shiny new vechiles. Mine was the only "older" vehicle I could see so don't think they are used to a lot of defenders moving through.

binch

Yeah, There's a good point Trevor!!!     If it's not a typical 'turn key and drive' you better have starting instructions with the vehicle and send a set of these instructions to the shipper.   
Cheers, Bill

spartree

I thought with this model year the immobilizer should be disabled when the fob is in close proximity to the ignition. Is this not the case?
E Silva Surrexi

spartree

A few metal bits to replace the plastic bits.

E Silva Surrexi

spartree

Well she landed in Halifax today. Fingers crossed the hurricane that's galloping toward the province doesn't destroy her...
E Silva Surrexi

spartree

Quote from: Red90 on September 13, 2020, 01:59 PM
You can drive it for two weeks without registration just like any other vehicle purchase. Just make sure it is insured.

My insurance provider (The Personal) will not insure the vehicle unless it is registered and has had a specific insurance inspection, and I cannot get it registered (or get the in-transit permit) without insurance. Is there some sort of temporary insurance offered by another provider that I can get? I know in BC there is a specific type of import insurance called Binder for Owner's Interim Certificate of Insurance, but I didn't see anything like that in Alberta. Otherwise I'll have to get it towed to the shop for the inspection. Not the end of the world, just a bit more hassle than I'd like!
E Silva Surrexi

ugly_90

That's not really how "trip permit" insurance works.

Ditch them, and try TD Meloche Monnex, or Hagarty.

You'll probably get only liability coverage for your drive back without inspection, rather than comprehensive. Don't wreck it by your own action on the drive...

Red90

There is something wrong with your insurance company.  Insurance does not require registration ever. You can have something insured and never registered.  In fact , they are required by law to provide you with 3rd party when you ask.  They can require an inspection, but must provide insurance immediately and give a deadline for the inspection.

spartree

Quote from: Red90 on October 10, 2020, 04:22 PM
There is something wrong with your insurance company.  Insurance does not require registration ever. You can have something insured and never registered.  In fact , they are required by law to provide you with 3rd party when you ask.  They can require an inspection, but must provide insurance immediately and give a deadline for the inspection.

This is consistent with the message I got from the first agent I spoke with. She essentially said I could only get 3rd party until I got an inspection, and that is completely fine for me as I plan to do the inspection ASAP and then apply full coverage. She asked that I send some additional information on the vehicle given the VIN and model didn't show up in their system, so I did that and the next agent I spoke to basically shut the whole operation down. So that's good to know, I'll try them again and if they still won't help I'll look elsewhere. Thanks!
E Silva Surrexi

binch

John is correct here....You have a bill of sale and the insurance company should accept that value temporarily for driving it back under a "temporary transit" license.  Once you are back home you make an appointment and get the OPI done and an appraisal (very important that).   I had no issue at all getting my insurance broker to sort that out with the underwriter Meloche Monnex.    The only issue I had was....it took so long to clear the vehicle from customs at that time that my permit ran out.   So I asked my wife to get another permit sorted and she emailed a copy to me.   Since I didn't have access to a printer out in Halifax I went into the local library and explained my situation to the librarian and they were more then willing to help me get a copy of my email.    Easy Peasy.
Cheers, Bill

spartree

Quote from: binch on October 12, 2020, 10:18 PM

John is correct here....You have a bill of sale and the insurance company should accept that value temporarily for driving it back under a "temporary transit" license.  Once you are back home you make an appointment and get the OPI done and an appraisal (very important that).   I had no issue at all getting my insurance broker to sort that out with the underwriter Meloche Monnex.    The only issue I had was....it took so long to clear the vehicle from customs at that time that my permit ran out.   So I asked my wife to get another permit sorted and she emailed a copy to me.   Since I didn't have access to a printer out in Halifax I went into the local library and explained my situation to the librarian and they were more then willing to help me get a copy of my email.    Easy Peasy.

Thanks, this is reassuring. Customs clearance took 3 days for me, but that was also over a weekend. Going to give the insurance another ring today and we'll see if we can get this sorted.
E Silva Surrexi

binch

We had this Landy come into the shop today for the out of province.   Beautiful!!!!!!    Almost looking like it was right off the show room floor.  Only fault was the door hinges on the drivers side are warn out.   But I have a zinc plated set I was going to install on my 100 that will get donated to "the cause" tomorrow and can be replaced on my next order.

This one's a beauty......Almost a shame to get some pine striping on it ahhahahahhahahah

Cheers, Bill

spartree

Quote from: binch on October 21, 2020, 11:05 PM
We had this Landy come into the shop today for the out of province.   Beautiful!!!!!!    Almost looking like it was right off the show room floor.  Only fault was the door hinges on the drivers side are warn out.   But I have a zinc plated set I was going to install on my 100 that will get donated to "the cause" tomorrow and can be replaced on my next order.

This one's a beauty......Almost a shame to get some pine striping on it ahhahahahhahahah

Well I certainly appreciate the donation and I'm looking forward to picking her up! I'll come by tomorrow afternoon.
E Silva Surrexi