New member / soon to be Defender owner

Started by spartree, September 12, 2020, 03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spartree

Hi. New member here, just wanted to say hello and perhaps ask some advice from the community. I'm in the process of importing a 2005 D110 TD5 that will be en route to Canada shortly. I've wanted a Defender for a long time and finally decided to take the plunge earlier this year while I was still living in Europe. A big motivating factor was my experience in Iceland where I rented a D110 for about 2-weeks and drove all around the F-roads. Such a great experience. It really solidified my love for these vehicles. After that I started to look for a good option to buy and bring back to Canada at the end of my expat assignment. Unfortunately COVID had a massive impact on the whole process, but anyway things are finally moving now.

If anyone can share their experience with importing their Defender into Canada and registering in Alberta that would be greatly appreciated.

Normally I wouldn't be too worried about customs clearance as everything has been pre-arranged by the broker and they will be clearing her on my behalf, but it will be interesting to see if the process is more stringent/longer now due to COVID.

I'm also wondering about the process of getting the vehicle registered in Alberta. An Out of Province Inspection has to be done before I can register it. I can pre-book that easily enough, but I wonder if I am allowed to drive it to the garage or does it have to be brought there on a truck? I suppose a Registry agent will have those details.

Are there any points that are sure to be flagged during the inspection beyond the usual integrity/mechanical checks? The rear lights on a Defender are a bit unique compared to normal vehicles in that there is a single fog light and a single reverse light. Any potential issue with that? I've had a front bumper installed that has daytime running lights already, and I've also got mud flaps on her. There are rear reflectors, but none on the sides apart from the indicator lamps. While the vehicle was still with the exporter we also did a round of mechanical work to ensure everything was up to snuff.

How about insurance? I plan to get comprehensive coverage. Any experience asking for an "agreed amount" valuation?

Is there a particular garage in Edmonton with mechanics who are experienced with Defenders? When I lived in Calgary I used to bring my Disco II to TRS for maintenance/repairs. Just wondering if there is a similar spot here in Edmonton. Searching the forum turned up a few recommendations for Sports Car Centre and they look pretty good:
http://www.sportscarcentre.ca/

Any recommendations for rust protection? This is going to be a year-round daily driver for me.

Thanks!
E Silva Surrexi

Trevor

Welcome!

Sportscar Centre is where you want to go in Edmonton for any Defender work that you're not comfortable tackling yourself. Bert runs a great little shop, and his #1 mechanic Dave is also a club member although he isn't on the message board a lot.

For the vehicle inspections required for registration, Bert can look after that as well. I think you just need a provincial when you are doing a 15 year old import (at least, that's what I recall when I brought my Defender over).
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

spartree

Quote from: Trevor on September 12, 2020, 05:07 PM
Welcome!

Sportscar Centre is where you want to go in Edmonton for any Defender work that you're not comfortable tackling yourself. Bert runs a great little shop, and his #1 mechanic Dave is also a club member although he isn't on the message board a lot.

For the vehicle inspections required for registration, Bert can look after that as well. I think you just need a provincial when you are doing a 15 year old import (at least, that's what I recall when I brought my Defender over).

Great, thanks a lot. I will for sure be utilizing that shop!
E Silva Surrexi

spartree

Here she is ready to go. And in good company too.

E Silva Surrexi

Trevor

"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

IMPORTANT!!!!   Make sure the vehicle is steam cleaned through out before it land in Canada.    A good pressure wash and detail cleaning, with a certification or invoice stating this has been done.   If you don't you will likely have to pay $400 Cdn for the government car wash, and the transport charges to & from the facility that will do this "joke of a car wash" for you.  At one time a vehicle would be transported to and from Toronto from Halifax for the car wash which takes them all of 5 minutes.   But the bill was over 1200 bucks.   But if you have proof this was done before loading you don't have to get it done here.   

As you are using a shipping agent they should be able to sort out the export form from the UK and the import paper work on this side for you.    Where is the vehicle coming from and landing at?

As Trevor says.....You will need an out of province once it arrives here and you will need to get a registration application from one of the registry offices in the city.   Bring that form to Bert and ask him for the OPI and an appraisal.   The OPI is mandatory and the appraisal is optional....but very good for backing up your insurance.

Very nice Truck.     

;)As long as it's in good running condition it will do fine.   If something isn't up to snuff Bert will allow you to fix it to make the OPI correct.   Or he can fix it for you.

Cheers, Bill

binch

I forgot to mention....make sure your truck is insured for the voyage over to Canada.   'Stuff' happens at sea, especially with RoRo shipping, and things have been known to vanish as they cross the sea.   My RRC had a fork from a forklift punched through the back door.   But I had insurance and it was fixed.

Years ago I brought in a 90 with a 200tdi in it...the 200 is now in my 110 ;-)     But I had it shipped in a seacan along with a couple of engines, axles, bumpers and load of other bits.   I had it shipped to Halifax, along with the club's order, and flew out there with Lovejugs to pick it up and drive it back across Canada to Edmonton.    Dave (aka Lovejugs) was brought along to make sure we got home again.   And we had an adventure getting back....nothing too hairy but it was a great trip all the same and I'd do it again in a heart beat!!!!
Cheers, Bill

spartree

Quote from: binch on September 13, 2020, 11:19 AM
IMPORTANT!!!!   Make sure the vehicle is steam cleaned through out before it land in Canada.    A good pressure wash and detail cleaning, with a certification or invoice stating this has been done.   If you don't you will likely have to pay $400 Cdn for the government car wash, and the transport charges to & from the facility that will do this "joke of a car wash" for you.  At one time a vehicle would be transported to and from Toronto from Halifax for the car wash which takes them all of 5 minutes.   But the bill was over 1200 bucks.   But if you have proof this was done before loading you don't have to get it done here.   

As you are using a shipping agent they should be able to sort out the export form from the UK and the import paper work on this side for you.    Where is the vehicle coming from and landing at?

As Trevor says.....You will need an out of province once it arrives here and you will need to get a registration application from one of the registry offices in the city.   Bring that form to Bert and ask him for the OPI and an appraisal.   The OPI is mandatory and the appraisal is optional....but very good for backing up your insurance.

Very nice Truck.     

;)As long as it's in good running condition it will do fine.   If something isn't up to snuff Bert will allow you to fix it to make the OPI correct.   Or he can fix it for you.

Thanks for the input. Cleaning was part of the package, but will inquire about proof that it was done. The vehicle was originally registered in Germany and that's where I bought it. It was then moved to the UK by the exporter. It will be departing from Southampton and landing in Halifax. From there it will go by truck / train (this is the most worrying part for me) to Alberta.

Yep, it is already insured for the voyage and will have additional insurance for the trip across Canada. Would have loved to fly to Halifax and drive it out here, but I can't commit the time considering the self isolation requirements.

Is there any kind of temporary pass that will permit me to drive the vehicle to the inspection once it's here?
E Silva Surrexi

Red90

You can drive it for two weeks without registration just like any other vehicle purchase. Just make sure it is insured.

spartree

Quote from: Red90 on September 13, 2020, 01:59 PM
You can drive it for two weeks without registration just like any other vehicle purchase. Just make sure it is insured.

Perfect. I didn't even know that was the rule in Alberta actually. I guess all I need to do is carry the bill of sale and proof of insurance.
E Silva Surrexi

binch

You need "An in-transit permit" from Alberta registries, and it's only good for one week outside of Alberta and 3 days in alberta. 

https://www.alberta.ca/licence-plates.aspx   see half way down the page.

When we went out east to get the vehicle I grabbed a permit before I left so I had my wife get me another 7 day permit and email it out to me a library in Halifax ;-)

Just go to the registry office with your proof of insurance (most insurance companies will provide this without question) and they'll issue a permit then to you then.   Easy Peasy

There are loads of companies that truck cars across the country and they take about 5days.   Just not as much fun as driving it accross.   If it was being shipped to the west coast (surprising to hear its about the same coast by sea) you could flyout and drive back over a weekend.   Either way it's a great way to see the country!!!!

Apparently you can transfer the registration and insurance from an existing vehicle of your to bring it back.....but I'm not clear on the procedure there.
Cheers, Bill

spartree

Quote from: binch on September 13, 2020, 09:37 PM
You need "An in-transit permit" from Alberta registries, and it's only good for one week outside of Alberta and 3 days in alberta. 

https://www.alberta.ca/licence-plates.aspx   see half way down the page.

When we went out east to get the vehicle I grabbed a permit before I left so I had my wife get me another 7 day permit and email it out to me a library in Halifax ;-)

Just go to the registry office with your proof of insurance (most insurance companies will provide this without question) and they'll issue a permit then to you then.   Easy Peasy

There are loads of companies that truck cars across the country and they take about 5days.   Just not as much fun as driving it accross.   If it was being shipped to the west coast (surprising to hear its about the same coast by sea) you could flyout and drive back over a weekend.   Either way it's a great way to see the country!!!!

Apparently you can transfer the registration and insurance from an existing vehicle of your to bring it back.....but I'm not clear on the procedure there.

Thanks for the additional info. I'm toying with the idea of driving her across the country to Newfoundland someday to visit my folks and explore the island a bit. That would be a huge time commitment though. I'd probably need to take a month off work to do it properly. In the meantime I've got NWT, Yukon, and Alaska in my sights.
E Silva Surrexi

grizzlychicken

Welcome and nice looking rig you have there! Good luck with the transport. Looks like you have plenty of advice. When mine was shipped by cn rail it wouldn't start to drive it off so they thought it would be a good idea to ad some gas to see if that would help. Not so much help for the td5 engine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spartree

Quote from: grizzlychicken on September 14, 2020, 10:46 PM
Welcome and nice looking rig you have there! Good luck with the transport. Looks like you have plenty of advice. When mine was shipped by cn rail it wouldn't start to drive it off so they thought it would be a good idea to ad some gas to see if that would help. Not so much help for the td5 engine!

Man, that sucks. The DIESEL sticker is still on my truck next to the fuel cap so hopefully that isn't an issue for me. The gearing diagram is pretty much worn off the gear knob though, so I cringe to think what might happen when someone who is not familiar with Defenders tries to drive it.
E Silva Surrexi

binch

Quote from: spartree on September 15, 2020, 12:15 PM
Quote from: grizzlychicken on September 14, 2020, 10:46 PM

Man, that sucks. The DIESEL sticker is still on my truck next to the fuel cap so hopefully that isn't an issue for me. The gearing diagram is pretty much worn off the gear knob though, so I cringe to think what might happen when someone who is not familiar with Defenders tries to drive it.

hahahhah  First gear...forward and to the right.  should be easy enough.    Reverse....well, lets just say they have a few options there.  But that shouldn't be too much of a problem for the 5 minutes they are behind the wheel. 8)
Cheers, Bill