Author Topic: New member / soon to be Defender owner  (Read 252 times)

Trevor

• Vehicle: 1998 Defender 110 Camel Trophy; 2004 Disco 2 G4
Re: New member / soon to be Defender owner
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 09:11 AM »
Welcome and nice looking rig you have there! Good luck with the transport. Looks like you have plenty of advice. When mine was shipped by cn rail it wouldn’t start to drive it off so they thought it would be a good idea to ad some gas to see if that would help. Not so much help for the td5 engine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, that sucks. The DIESEL sticker is still on my truck next to the fuel cap so hopefully that isn’t an issue for me. The gearing diagram is pretty much worn off the gear knob though, so I cringe to think what might happen when someone who is not familiar with Defenders tries to drive it.

If you have an immobilizer on the vehicle (common in the UK, because these things are frequently stolen), make sure the freight forwarding company that is destuffing the container is aware of that.

Livingston International handled the shipment of my Defender via sea-can. It arrived in the port of Vancouver, and the mouth-breathers responsible for handling it couldn't get it started (it had an immobilizer...right on the key chain, labelled with bright yellow sticky), then tried a bunch of things that only made the situation worse, ultimately causing a diesel spill in CN's yard. Their incompetence extended well past that as I tried to work with them to get the problem sorted out. They were supposed to deliver the vehicle to my door, but I ultimately had to fly out to Vancouver, spend half a day troubleshooting all the problems they caused, and finally get the vehicle running and drive it home from there.

Immobilizer or not, stay on top of your freight forwarder. Sometimes these go off without a hitch, sometimes not. When the latter, you want to get in front of the problem before they do too much damage.

spartree

• Vehicle: 2005 Defender TD5 110 SE
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 10:16 AM »
Welcome and nice looking rig you have there! Good luck with the transport. Looks like you have plenty of advice. When mine was shipped by cn rail it wouldn’t start to drive it off so they thought it would be a good idea to ad some gas to see if that would help. Not so much help for the td5 engine!

Man, that sucks. The DIESEL sticker is still on my truck next to the fuel cap so hopefully that isn’t an issue for me. The gearing diagram is pretty much worn off the gear knob though, so I cringe to think what might happen when someone who is not familiar with Defenders tries to drive it.

If you have an immobilizer on the vehicle (common in the UK, because these things are frequently stolen), make sure the freight forwarding company that is destuffing the container is aware of that.

Livingston International handled the shipment of my Defender via sea-can. It arrived in the port of Vancouver, and the mouth-breathers responsible for handling it couldn't get it started (it had an immobilizer...right on the key chain, labelled with bright yellow sticky), then tried a bunch of things that only made the situation worse, ultimately causing a diesel spill in CN's yard. Their incompetence extended well past that as I tried to work with them to get the problem sorted out. They were supposed to deliver the vehicle to my door, but I ultimately had to fly out to Vancouver, spend half a day troubleshooting all the problems they caused, and finally get the vehicle running and drive it home from there.

Immobilizer or not, stay on top of your freight forwarder. Sometimes these go off without a hitch, sometimes not. When the latter, you want to get in front of the problem before they do too much damage.

I am sufficiently terrified now haha. But I definitely appreciate hearing about these experiences. The truck does have an immobilizer.

grizzlychicken

• Club Member
  • Club Membership: Yes
  • Vehicle: 2001 Defender TD5 110
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 11:07 AM »

I am sufficiently terrified now haha. But I definitely appreciate hearing about these experiences. The truck does have an immobilizer.
Yup the lack of start for mine on the train was the immobilizer too. Funny that jumping it didn’t help :) in the yard when I picked it up it was full of shiny new vechiles. Mine was the only “older” vehicle I could see so don’t think they are used to a lot of defenders moving through.

binch

• Club Admin
  • Club Membership: Yes
  • Vehicle: 110, RRC, D11
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 10:51 PM »
Yeah, There's a good point Trevor!!!     If it's not a typical 'turn key and drive' you better have starting instructions with the vehicle and send a set of these instructions to the shipper.   
Cheers, Bill

spartree

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2020, 08:08 AM »
I thought with this model year the immobilizer should be disabled when the fob is in close proximity to the ignition. Is this not the case?

spartree

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2020, 06:38 PM »
A few metal bits to replace the plastic bits.

spartree

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2020, 08:16 PM »
Well she landed in Halifax today. Fingers crossed the hurricane that’s galloping toward the province doesn’t destroy her...