Learn from my experience....LOL

Started by binch, September 04, 2020, 05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

It's been great to share experiences with other land rover folks in the hope that we can part our recent learned knowledge on to others in hope of saving them a bit of a headache.   Now, this isn't my first rodeo in this department and I'm sure I can fill the thread with my own mishaps and what was the solution to solve it.    But I don't want to be "greedy" here either  ;D     So let me start with today's experience:

I was driving home from the shop in my 110 and thinking I should fill up with fuel soon as I've got 700km on the clock.   But looking down on the gauge I figured "ah what the heck....i've got another day to fill it up!!"   By the time I got home my fuel gauge was telling me that I have less fuel then I thought I had...."well this is a surprise" I thought to my self.   As I pulled up in front of the house I notice a larger then normal piece of territory that my landy was trying to claim, so I parked it up and popped the bonnet to see what I could see.   

Well the first thing I noticed was the smell of unburnt diesel.  The second was the wet spot on the front right side of the engine. BING!!!!!!   I think I know what's going on here...!?!?!   I grabbed the spill rail tube and gave it a gentle wiggle and watched the bango fitting freely rotated back and forth on top of the first injector.  The conversation I had with myself went along these lines (I've redacted this for general reading)

"Well this is easy enough to sort out!   I'll just get my 8mm box wrench and nip it up a tad." I thought to myself.

"Oh, that's too small?     ....let's try the 10mm."

"Nope, that's not it...how about the 11mm?"   

"okay, it's gotta be the 12mm!!!!!"   

"Gosh Darn it all... it's TOO big?!?!"     Sounding a bit like a story I heard once, involving a wayward young lady and a family of 3 rather selfish bears  ::)

"That's it....I'm going to the 7/16".....PERFECT FIT!"   

So I gave it a two finger tightening so I don't over stress the banjo bolt.  And while I'm at it I thought I'd check the other 3 banjo fittings, and sure enough the rear one was a bit loose as well....so give it a nip too!   It took me more time to get the right tool for the job then it did to do the job itself, but I feel confident that I will see another 800km tank coming my way soon ;-)

Cheers, Bill

Red90

I assume you have the old style with the stiff nylon tubing?  It is worth changing to the newer style that uses hose. They don't vibrate loose.

binch

Quote from: Red90 on September 04, 2020, 05:45 PM
I assume you have the old style with the stiff nylon tubing?  It is worth changing to the newer style that uses hose. They don't vibrate loose.

As a matter if fact I think I do have the nylon tubes....    Thanks for the update info John  ;)
Cheers, Bill

bassguy

Hi Binch, I havent been on here for a long time..I met you years ago and I am from edmonton..I wanted to touch base as I am looking at a lightweight in calgary...are there any specific things I should look for?..I went online and there is a rundown of the usual things to watch for when checking a used landy (and, like you, its not my first rodeo!)..I have owned quite a few landcruisers but never a rover..this truck Im looking at has definitely been altered a bit..he said he replaced the crossmember in the back and painted it ..it looks pretty nice and has a cheaper looking back "pick up" type cap..i could send pics to you..he will let me pay over some months and is asking 10,000, .Im a musician(bass player)and you were very helpful and showed me your older 90 about 10 or maybe 12 years ago now?..

binch

I'm definitely not a resident expert on the series vehicles so I would think there are other's here far more qualified to voice an opinion.    And as I've told others.....It's best to have someone in the know crawl under, over and through the vehicle to give a good opinion on the truck.     Looking at pics doesn't do the process justice I'm afraid.
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Bass guy, #1 worst place for rust is between the bulkhead and upper dash on a Lightweight. But start a new thread and we can go into it further.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Matt H

Lol Bill, I've had that experience with the spill tubes too. I used an all-sixteenths wrench. 👍🏻
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

bumpydormobile

Bassguy...
If you are serious about the truck, take it to TRS and invest in a good inspection.

camo388

Bassguy,   
I've sent you a PM with some general information about Lightweights.  Lightweights have unique body style but still basically a Series 3 in so far as engine, transmission and axles.  Series are easy to maintain and repair and NO electronic crap.