Defender TD5 Rebuild

Started by grizzlychicken, April 18, 2020, 06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grizzlychicken

Quote from: 88Hillman on September 29, 2020, 05:13 AM
In August you shimmed the firewall to make it sit plumb.  How did you level the frame before adjusting the firewall?
I put the level on the frame rail then just used a jack to level the frame. Think I put the frame on a jack stand at one end. It was pretty close anyway. I leveled both rails.
Also had the sill rail handy to check square off. This is adjustable too so mostly used my level and a level frame but was good to see how the sill rail and bulkhead are sitting in relation to each other. My doors sent on yet so we will see how it works! I imagine I'm still going to have to shim the sill rail too....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grizzlychicken

Quote from: camo388 on September 29, 2020, 01:02 PM
Anyone else think they catalog and organize their fasteners and go to put that part back on your truck and that well organized fastener is nowhere to be found? You put it in that spot you think you will remember but remembering never happens! Trying to organize well with labeling bags etc but wow it's tricky to find some of the bits you put away for safe keeping!
I'm glad I'm not the only one that put parts away for safe keeping and not remember where safe keeping is.

Very nice job so far. 
When you get finished with your project do you want to come over and do mine?  I might have found all the parts I put away for safe keeping by then.  LOL
Thanks! Sure I'll get right in yours! Mine seems to be taking an eternity!
I'm sure my bits will show up at the end :) after replacement.......

grizzlychicken

Have been busy fencing the yard lately so not much action on the rebuild until the snow!
Started to install the rear antiroll bar that has a disconnect to allow 4x4 mode. Exited to see how this puppy works!

binch

X engineering and an AVM hub.....clever idea!! ;)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: binch on October 19, 2020, 05:32 AM
X engineering and an AVM hub.....clever idea!! ;)

Hopefully they have upgraded the design.  A lot of people have had failures of the left side arm.  The other issue that people see is the freewheeling hub has backlash in the splines and it is enough that you get a fair bit of body roll before it does anything.  Let us know what you think.

grizzlychicken

Ok thanks for the heads up! I'll let you know what I thing when I get this bad boy done!

Just working on the rear 1/4 fabrication today:

The wheel well panel I made is not quite 90 so will need some tweaking. Otherwise looks not bad!

grizzlychicken

Ok my defender anatomy experts. I feel a little embarrassed to ask but I really can't figure out where this corner strengthening piece goes.... door latch striker? Hinge side? Both? I have 2 here.....

binch

LOL....I don't recognise it either  ???
Cheers, Bill

grizzlychicken

Ok thanks bill. I think these came with my YRM order that came in the seacan. Here is the link:

https://yrmit.co.uk/product/lr-defender-hdg-rear-tub-cornerdoor-latch-stiffener/

Just can't figure out how to use them! Maybe I'll call YRM and ask.....

binch

Tell us what you learn please ;)
Cheers, Bill

grizzlychicken

Quote from: binch on October 29, 2020, 11:23 PM
Tell us what you learn please ;)
So these brackets fit on either side of the safari door to reinforce either the strike plate or the middle hinge. The brackets are generic and fit left or right and have pre drilled river holes that line up with the exterior strength bracket.
Here is a photo of an original slightly corroded bracket installed that Ronnie from YRM sent me.
Think it will be good to stop the door shudder that can happen when it get closed firmly.
My td5 did not have these installed when I got it.

grizzlychicken

Progress on my rear quarter. Got one completed and pretty happy with how the fabricated parts worked out!

The right quarter is mostly together although there were some rivet holes that weren't going to line up on the rear panel that the lights mount to so I tried to fill them with aluminum brazing rod but unfortunately the heat from the propane torch warped the panel (I thought it would) and the aluminum is so thin that it opened up one of the holes more.....sigh.
I obviously don't have great aluminum welding skills!
At $50 it is worth just getting a new rear panel section.

grizzlychicken

Here is the panel I screwed up :)

I test fitted everything and have some adjusting to do but happy with the progress on the left side:

Just need to wait for the right rear panel to come in so it can be fitted.

grizzlychicken

My left rear quarter is looking a lot like a porcupine

binch

very nice work.....keep it up! ;)
Cheers, Bill