Milk for Camping?

Started by ugly_90, March 02, 2020, 05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly_90

I recently stopped by Bulk Barn here, and noticed full-cream milk powder, which I hadn't been able to find before. It was expensive though.

Most powdered milk in stores seems to be skimmed, not even 2%. I seem to think there was a dairy board reason for that as far as marketing?

In a few shops around Millwoods, Edmonton you can find cans of Nestle Nido full-cream milk, imported, and in fairly expensive large cans.

In Guyana, there is no longer any dairy industry. I expect the cows don't do well in the heat there either. Milk bought there is either full-fat milk powder from New Zealand, or UHT packed whole milk from Germany.

Ice cream is made there from drums of New Zealand milk fat.

Evaporated milk cans, skim milk powder, and 2% UHT boxes all seem common here.

Is there a better lead for smaller cans of whole milk or 2% powder for camping? Ditto for powdered eggs, it seems to be hard to find that as well.

Online ordering might be the only reliable source?

ugly_90

I think I've answered my own question here. The Nido milk powder can most likely be found in Mexican or Hispanic food stores here, hopefully in smaller cans and far from expiry.

The egg powder probably isn't that palatable by itself as scrambled, and would be better bought as a freeze dried omelette bag. Egg powder for baking is unlikely for trips less than a few months, and is available in many bread mixes before leaving.