Southern Rockies Exploration Week - 2020 Edition

Started by Red90, February 04, 2020, 09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Red90

Tentatively set for August 23 to 29 (Sunday to Saturday).

The general plan at the moment (subject to change) is to follow the same overall route as last year in the opposite direction.  Along the way, there are a variety of trails and trail options that we will try out that we did not have time to look at last year.  We will also visit backcountry hot springs as time permits.  There are three possible ones along the route.

The Sunday meetup will be at one of the BC provincial recreation areas along the Kootenay or White rivers south of Kootenay National Park.  This is three hours from Calgary.  We will then start the trip Monday morning with a plan to be able to have the following Saturday free for getting home from the Dutch Creek area (two hours south of Calgary). There will be options for people to leave the trip most days.  There should also be a resupply and refueling opportunity in the middle of the week.

You can read about last year's trip in this thread: http://alre.club/Forum/index.php?topic=1590.30

binch

That was a great trip last year!   Will likely join again this year too.  Thanks John!!!! ;)
Cheers, Bill

Gardenome

I am planning to attend as well. My challenge is making it to the starting line on time. You mentioned leaving early if you can't stay the whole week. Will it be possible to join late or might you all be too difficult to track down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gardenome

I am planning to attend as well. My challenge is making it to the starting line on time. You mentioned leaving early if you can't stay the whole week. Will it be possible to join late or might you all be too difficult to track down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red90

It might be difficult to meet part way. If it is later on the Monday it could be possible. After that it is hard to predict where we will be and there is zero cell coverage anywhere.

pechanec

Last year was great ( challenges getting there aside) we'll see if this year is makable.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

DBrands

I'm definitely interested in this trip again. I'll pencil myself in.

David
David B

1990 D90 - 200TDI

B-Red

Tigger is going through an engine rebuild revival. Hopefully it will be tuned and tweeted for this one. Been five years since it hit the trails.

Red90

Just to give a brief update.  This trip is a definite go. There have been seven people show interest. If there is anyone else that might want to come, even tentatively, let me know. Discussion on details will be by email.

The dates and the general plan are in the first post.

Cheers,

John

B-Red

Just came out of organizing a big public event that had 87 plus cars participate. The committee prepared a COVID-19 plan to minimize the risk.
For this camping trip it's manageable. Simple things to consider:
1- Keep your distance
2- use the outhouse with disinfectant or bring your own porta potty.
3- don't share food or drinks or plates
4- check yourself in for testing to make sure your are fit for the trip.
As for the mask, your choice. It keeps the dust out on the trails.
Cheers
Emad

Trevor

Just an fyi, the CCP-19 virus stupidity has ramped up vandalism against Alberta plated vehicles in BC. Before heading on a recent excursion to the Valemont area I was warned about it from some EPS members. They're getting the info through "official" channels.

My trip was mostly very enjoyable. However I did come across 3 idiots in Valemont while getting fuel that were yammering on about keying my vehicle  unless I go back to Alberta. They walked over to confront me but once they realized I was preparing to defend myself and going to stand my ground, they changed their minds and it amounted to nothing.

On a more positive note I did run into several locals while fishing that were extremely nice. I had some drinks with them and we brewed up a good camp dinner together. Twas a fun night. 

So nothing to get too concerned about, just be mindful. If you're camping remotely and away from people with a big group like you guys have, it shouldn't be a problem. From what I'm told the bulk of the vandalism seems to be happening at restaurants/motels etc while you're away from your vehicle. Vehicles being keyed, tires slashed, etc.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

I've been hearing the same thing.......BC has been trying to discourage cross border movement in any direction.   It's unfortunate but a bit understandable I guess.
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: binch on July 02, 2020, 12:15 AMBC has been trying to discourage cross border movement in any direction.

That is incorrect.  BC moved to Phase 3 and they are stating that non-essential travel is fine including from out of province.

DBrands

Quote from: Red90 on July 02, 2020, 07:41 AM
Quote from: binch on July 02, 2020, 12:15 AMBC has been trying to discourage cross border movement in any direction.

That is incorrect.  BC moved to Phase 3 and they are stating that non-essential travel is fine including from out of province.

Yep, straight from BC Gov't Phase 3 page:
"If you are travelling to B.C. from another province or territory within Canada you are expected to follow the same travel guidelines as everyone else in B.C. and travel safely and respectfully. "

The BC park campground situation still seems a bit vague though...
"BC Parks campground and backcountry camping reservations opened for B.C. residents on June 1, 2020."
"Preferential access to camping will be given to B.C. residents"
Even more reason to avoid the campgrounds...
David B

1990 D90 - 200TDI

Red90

To be clear.  We will not be staying in any BC Parks campgrounds for this trip (the ones mentioned above). We will be staying at one or more BC Recreation Sites.  These are managed by a different government agency, are free, non reservable and not affected by any Covid restrictions.