Warn winch

Started by camo388, January 27, 2020, 12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camo388

I'm looking to rebuild a 8274 Warn winch and asking if anyone could recommend a repair/ parts shop for Warn winches in the Edmonton area?   
I haven't found all the pieces of a 8274 that I have and want to work out if a rebuild would be feasible.  Otherwise I could look for a used one on Kijiji for rebuild but either way would need new seals etc.
Thank you for any help,  Bruce

Red90

You should be able to fix it yourself.  They are simple and would be no problem for you.  Just pull apart, clean and put back together.  Get new drum bushings and seal and brake pads.  If anything else is broken, it could get expensive.  Normally the brake cams seize up as they are in the open and made of steel.  Once fixed up keep the cam lubricated and out of the weather.

There are good writeups around to help.
https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/electrical/1602-rebuilding-the-legendary-warn-m8274-electric-winch/
https://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/8274/

One modification worth doing is to replace the brake shaft circlip with a bolt and heavy retaining washer.  The circlips are known to fly off.
http://www.red90.ca/rovers/8274_brake/8274_brake.html

As far as where to get parts, someone in Edmonton could chime in.  http://apps.warn.com/wwwapps/dealerlocator/dealerLocator.htm

binch

These guys used to be pretty good at winch repairs

Interior Off Road Equipment
17210-103 Ave
Edmonton, AB T5S 1N1
780-451-0030
780-451-3116 (fax)
Cheers, Bill

camo388

Thank you for your help.  I know of Interior Off Road Equipment as a few years back I delivered a winch there for another guy.  On the net today I also came across Winch Doctor on 12717 - 50 Street, way up there, east of Fort Road.  I can give both a call once I work out what I have and what I need.  When I first acquired the winch I didn't have a 12 volt LR for it to fit on but out of curiosity had Malcolm check it over.  Was told needed motor rewound or replaced so set it aside for a time when I could use it.  Now I want to try and find everything again so I can get it working.

camo388

An up date to winch repairs.  With just a quick look on line, I found just a few of the pieces I was missing would make a rebuild to the price of a new one.  Damn and other curses.
Then I found a used 8274 on Kijiji for $250 and thought with parts I already have I could get lucky and get 1 winch from the 2.  Went ahead with purchase then stripped and cleaned the Kijiji winch and all looks good.  Well maybe not so good, as not much oil and what there was had fine steel flecks.  Exactly like Copper coat but BLACK.  Took it all to Winch Doctor for them to look it over and give an estimate for rebuild.  Estimate back and it is $1370.00 .  Biggest expense is new up dated motor and solenoid pack to go with it.  Original motor failing so new motor recommended.
While thinking over this cost, Winch Doctor offered me a rebuilt XH 8000 for $450.00 (or a 10,000 lb for $650).
So now I need to decide how to spend my money.  Do I just look at total $$ and get the XH 8000 or is the 8274 a better winch and worth the repairs?

Red90

camo388

Yes I realize Winch Doctor would cost more than me fixing but a few minutes with them got me a quick decision if repairable and an idea of cost.
By the way the build code on that winch is AB0 which works out to, A =1 so January,  B=2 so second work day and 0 = 1980     
So 40 years and 1 month old!   Jan 1, 1980 was a Tuesday so would 2nd work day be Thursday or Friday?

I'll need brake service kit, needle bearing, lower housing service kit too. https://www.amazon.ca/WARN-8409-Brake-Service-Kit/dp/B000CQFW1Y/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/134-5677091-2456909?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000CQFW1Y&pd_rd_r=4d6d80b1-8b2b-4375-8e1e-c2bcf0ff6eff&pd_rd_w=A9SOi&pd_rd_wg=09CD8&pf_rd_p=127ee237-563c-4df9-b021-296c85fa3d2d&pf_rd_r=8KVD3BRRB7ATBM7GVY3T&psc=1&refRID=8KVD3BRRB7ATBM7GVY3T
Only other thing is end housing on drum has plastic sleeve to be replaced.

binch

Some good alternatives there for you Bruce ;-)

If you want to delve a little deeper have a look at the gigglepin winches, and if you really want a fast winch check out their twin motor set ups.   But here are the single motor options.
https://gigglepin4x4.net/the-gigglepin-mbs---motor-brake-system-1934-p.asp
Cheers, Bill

camo388

Bill your not helping.  Good looking stuff but thanks I have enough options already.  My head is going to explode trying to come to a decision.  I was at auto wreckers today to get a part for my Ranger and he has couple 8274's for sale too.  One all there and running, the second has a split case otherwise OK.  I didn't dare ask price of winch with split case just in case I have that case already.  I don't really want to corner the used winch market.   ;D

camo388

My floor heating boiler was misbehaving and then my daily driver needed attention so now finally able to do some serious research.  I looked at John's links to Amazon and found Winch Doctors price to be the same or within only a few dollars.  An added cost by Winch Doctor was by using a XD900DI motor which needs a splined pinion gear.  A better option over the original motor.  This means rebuilding winch myself basically just saves me Winch Doctor's labour fee.  Fine if all goes well with Amazon.  Then I think do I really want another project as I have enough on the go already.  I figure it is better I let Winch Doctor do the rebuild.  I'd like to see his shop and his used parts supply.  Could I get the auto wreckers split case winch cheap enough to be rebuilt and still make money back??  My kids will be happy I'm not spending all their inheritance.  ;D ;D

camo388

I had contacted Daryl at Winch Doctor to tell him to go ahead with rebuild but I wouldn't be into city again until our Land Rover meeting on March 4th.  His reply was because I belonged to a 4x4 club he would see if he could reduce parts and labour costs.   My new invoice has been reduced by $263.54 and I can make payment when I pick up the winch.
This is what he will be using for solenoid pack,   You cannot view this attachment.  You cannot view this attachment.
Daryl says this has single contactor and 5 pin remote and is the new way for winches coming out.