Series land rover disk brake conversion

Started by bumpydormobile, January 06, 2020, 05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bumpydormobile

Has anyone converted their Series LR to disk brakes on the front?  I have a military chassis with Salisbury axles, will defender brakes work?

thanks
David

Red90

There are three different disc brakes conversion kits around. They all have pros and cons. You probably want to research them as it is not a low cost job.

Are you suggesting that the front axle is a Salisbury?  I've not heard of that on a Series.

binch

Have a chat with Rob Mills in Oliver BC.   He can give you some advice on the disk brake conversion on the series vehicle. ;)
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

If it is a real one ton 109", early Series 2a versions would have ENV axles changing to ENV front and Salisbury rear then Salisbury front and rear or last a "uprated" Rover front and Salisbury rear on the late Series 3.
Not many were made and most stayed in the UK. I caught a One Ton LR display at a LR show I attended in England years ago and all the units were ex-tow trucks.
They even have their own club.

If it is a real one ton you will destroy it's rarely (and hence value) if you were to modernize any significant components.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

In any case, knowing exactly what axles is there will affect how to proceed.  AFAIK, all of the Series disc conversion kits are designed for the Rover type axles and probably won't work if you have something else.

Lowest cost option from Ray Wood: http://parabolicsprings.com/products.html

A lot more money but you stay with Land Rover brakes..  http://www.heystee-automotive.com/webstore/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=50

The third one is the Tim Cooper design, but I guess it is out of production.

bumpydormobile

Thanks for all the feed back, the chassis is not original to the truck, I will try to remember to take pictures of the axles tomorrow.

Cheers
David

northerndefender

I have the Rocky Mountain disc conversion on my 2a with the brake booster.  I can stop so hard the oil light comes on and there are no adjustments to do when things wear.

Call me if you have any questions.
Colin

88Hillman

I have the Timm Cooper set front and rear.  We get all the trucks together and compare them one day!

Cheers,
Kirk

Already a Rover

Hi.  Well, I think it is time to do this - I'll be pulling a trailer around Alberta all summer, and unless there is something wrong with my brakes now, I should worry. 

I'll be looking around, but was hoping I could order from England through ALRE - from the above it looks like there is nothing we can get at a discount?  So, what am I looking at for cost and how much work it it?  I'll have a poke-around on Guns and Rovers.

Thanks,

Jim