Oil change in the LT230 gearbox

Started by binch, November 27, 2019, 11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

Since the 110 has spent its fare share of time playing in the water I figured it was time to change out some of the fluids in the truck.   The axles, T-case and the Gearbox....   

Axles are straight forward using Chevron Delo Syn-Lube 75w90 which I got in a 19lt pail from the Co-op.   

The LT230 got a nice fresh fill of Penrite Trans Gear Semi Synthetic 75W-90, while the R380 gearbox got some Penrite Trans Gear Semi Synthetic 75W-80 Penrite's equivalent to Land Rover's recommended MTF 94.   I got it at Bert's shop for $15/lt but since my 110 has to put up with my driving I may as well treat it to something good!!!   ;D

Cheers, Bill

Red90

Why are you putting a light oil in the transfer case?  The 75W90 gear oil should be the normal thing to use.

binch

Quote from: Red90 on November 27, 2019, 12:02 PM
Why are you putting a light oil in the transfer case?  The 75W90 gear oil should be the normal thing to use.

You are correct John....I ment to say in the R380 Gearbox.

I did use the Penrite Trans Gear Semi Synthetic 75W-90 in the T-Case.

Thanks for pointing that error out for me.... ::)
Cheers, Bill

jeffrey

I thought you were going to say that the gearbox was full of water Bill. I was in Australia many years ago driving my series one in the outback and forded a deep river.  All went well crossing over but on the way back she stalled in the middle.  I had to get towed out by another truck and then when I looked the left handed plug on the bell-housing had been removed so on the way back the water rushed in through the hole and found its way into both the engine and the gearbox, quite messy.........

binch

Me?   Deep water crossings...?    Nooooooooo... Not me! ::)
Cheers, Bill