2001 Disco 2 gearbox has failed to proceed

Started by binch, October 11, 2019, 05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

Well folks...it's been 376k+ km now and it looks like the gearbox has packed it in.   The wife was on her way into work this morning and she lost power and the engine area started to make some protesting noises.   So she shut 'er down and had it towed into the shop.   Turns out one of the idler wheels had seized and collapsed it's bearings.    So we replaced both idler wheels and the recently installed belt.   But when we went to drive it forward the vehicle did nothing!  Engine runs fine, but will not move in drive, 1st, 2nd and 3rd....in either high or low range.   But if you put it into reverse it move just fine! :o   The gearbox  was down a bit on fluid but it made no difference when topped up.  But the gearbox.....I don't know.    So I'm guessing the torque converter is still good.  But the gearbox...not so sure.

Anyone out there run into this problem yet?   Any suggestions....?

enquiring minds need to know....
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

I would check the shifter first before condemning the transmission. Make sure the linkage is working and is moving the arm on the transmission itself.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Quote from: Matt H on October 15, 2019, 10:10 AM
I would check the shifter first before condemning the transmission. Make sure the linkage is working and is moving the arm on the transmission itself.

Well....we get reverse okay, and the shifter is also indicating on the dash too.    When it's in drive, 1, 2 or 3 it kind of wants to roll forward but any kind of hill will stop it.
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

The dash indicator is taken from an electronic signal from the shifter assembly but the shifter itself is still manually connected to the transmission via a cable. Thus it is possible to move the shift control, have the dash indicator display a the selected gear but the transmission not be in gear.

Having said that, if it 'feels' like it wants to move but isn't then likely more is going on. But it can't hurt to check anyway.

It is very strange that a serpentine belt idler failure and total forward gear transmission failure would occur at the same time? One is completely unrelated to the other.

binch

Yes, that was a BIG surprise to me too ???
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

It could be a valve in the valve body stuck?
If the transmission fluid looks clean with no debris of clutch material, no external leaks then more than likely a valve has become stuck. Most auto gearboxes have a separate valves for forward and reverse gears.
Forward valve gets more use, becomes worn in the bore or gets dirt wedged inside and no longer can direct enough hydraulic pressure to engage the forward clutch pack properly.

Various snake oils claim to restore operation but so far I've never seen it work for more than a couple of weeks. A rebuilt valve body would be an option but with 376k a full transmission rebuild would be advised.

Cheapest option would be to source a good used auto box and move on (literally lol) with life. Given the late Rover V8's penchant for blowing head gaskets and causing the entire vehicle to be scrapped there are plenty low km used units around.

binch

I've sourced a gearbox from a 2002 with 151k on it, that had met it's end in an car wreck.  Should be at the shop today or tomorrow.  fingers crossed ;-)
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

Yup, that's the route I would have taken too once I had confirmed a rebuild was in order. Just makes more dollars and cents.

binch

It arrived today at the shop at 1130...but it's pretty busy in there right now.   Will see if we can make it before the weekend or not.   Not sure that will happen  ;-)
Cheers, Bill

binch

Well the old transmission is out now and I spent a bit of time power washing the T-case.   Not sure what saw more water...the case or me!?!?   If nothing else, the car wash doesn't have to worry about cleaning the water as most of it was filtered through my clothes  ;D
The gearbox will hopefully go in today but we still need a filter kit before it's done.
Cheers, Bill