Great chainsaw sharpener

Started by binch, September 16, 2019, 10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

Greetings,

For all those folks out there that have a chainsaw as part of their kit I found a great new gizmo for manually sharpening the chains (in the field or at home).    Now being a bit of a minimalist I've managed pretty good with a couple of files (Flat and Round) when sharpening my chains up, that and a ton of practice.     

Somebody asked me about the Stihl hand sharpener so I decided to look into it.   

https://en.stihl.ca/STIHL-Products/Accessories/Sharpening-Accessories/2106350-106371/2-in-1-File-Holder.aspx

My first impression was  "just another bell to add to my collection of whistles" so I ignored it.    But it stuck in my head and I finally decided to look get one and check it out.   Well I have to say I was very impressed by it!    It's very good at setting a standard softwood angle on the tooth, it keeps the depth of the cut equal on all the teeth, and it trims the height of the rack as you go.   After having cut an over grown cedar out from the side of the house (including the stump) I had to touch up the teeth again.    So I tried this thing out and it did a bang up job!!!   And you can replace the files themselves as required.     

So....I would give the Stihl sharpener a good recommendation.    You can find these online (amagon and eblag) from different manufactures and the price range is extreme.   But I picked up the Stihl sharpener from my local John Deere Centre (Stihl reps) for $45 and it's well worth the money.   IMPORTANT NOTE:   If you aren't aware of it the saw teeth come in various sizes so make sure you get the right sharpener for your tooth size (see the side of the teeth for the code)

;)

Cheers, Bill

Trevor

I'll second that Bill! I've got an earlier version of that unit (different handle is all  think) and it works really well.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!