Diff oil leaking out of the hub

Started by Scott in Canmore, August 21, 2019, 07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott in Canmore

Hello,

I have a 1985 Defender (wolf). It's developed a diff oil leak on the driver's rear hub.  I thought it was just the gasket, which I replaced, thrice. However, the oil is still leaking and the new gasket is dry.  On careful inspection the oil is leaking from the axle, possibly from the little dimple in the middle - although I'm not sure that's possible.

So, do I need to replace the inside hub seal or is there another seal I don't know about that needs attention?

Thanks,

Scott

You cannot view this attachment.

Red90

There is supposed to be a rubber cap over the axle flange to keep the oil in and the water out.

Are all four wheels like this, with no caps?

They are a few dollars each.

Scott in Canmore

I do have the caps, I just took it off for the photo op.

The cap is a bit weathered. Is it possible I just need a new cap?

Red90

Sure. The caps leak all the time. Most people carry spare ones. Packing them with grease help prevent them from leaking.

Most ones you buy these days are not as good as the originals.

FYI, your truck is not a Wolf if it is an 85.

Scott in Canmore

BANGS HEAD ON DESK.....

Thank you... you've saved me HEAPS of pointless work.

Re the "wolf".  A re-google shows I'm about 11 years off -yikes.

It's been a bit of a struggle for a novice like myself to figure out the particulars. Sorry for the misrepresentation.

Thanks again,

Scott

Matt H

They do leak. Over the years the hub splines have been both dry and wet with strong opinions on how effective either is.

My personal opinion is the better system is wet hub (i.e. no inner seal so the outer hub/axle splines are lubricated with oil) and a heavy duty drive flange with a sealed cap to eliminate leaks.

My 2c.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

brendan leier

I bought some fancy gold ones from the land down under with a screw cap and no leaks yet.  I can point out, however, that the flanges themselves are not one size fits all.