1966 Land Rover owners?

Started by Chad M, August 16, 2019, 04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad M

Hello all,  I recently hauled home another Series 2a and I'd like to build a case with Alberta Registries to correct the model year on the registration.  This truck is listed as a '68, but I strongly suspect it's probably a '66.

Is there anyone in the group that has a 1966 Land Rover whose VIN ends with the suffix "C"?

I've found a couple of references from the internet that reference "C" as linked to Apr.66 to early '67.   I believe this information is correct, I'd just like to back it up with another Alberta registered '66. 

I would imagine the Heritage Certificate would go a long way in support as well.

Thanks, Chad.

SpeedyJ

I don't have a '66, but I do have what I believe to be a '65, with serial number suffer 'B'. This link may help you -https://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.Chassis_Numbers.suffix.IIA.html

-Jeff

Rambler

Hi Chad
Perhaps post a question on the series 2 club forum to help pin down the date, they have details of factory builds, model changes, etc.

Note the club had forum issues with bots and have started up a new forum with this address

http://www.series2club.co.uk/new_forum/index.php

Ian
Series 2 club rep for Canada
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

Chad M

Thanks for the input fellas. 

Ultimately I'd like to hear of an S2a in Alberta, as it would streamline the process at the Registries, especially if the serial numbers are in the same range as mine.  This truck apparently has always been in Alberta.  Even Jeff's VIN is decent evidence as it follows what I've read about the A,B,C sequence (Jeff's link).

I will continue to look around the 'net, I know in the past I've seen some Series 2 VIN'S compiled that were narrowing the build dates. That's good evidence too.

Chad.

88Hillman

Chad, my 1966 88" ends in B.

mike.heathcote

My 66 also ends in a B. 

I have a 1960 truck as well, but when I bought it - the guy told me it was a 1964.  The heritage certificate was enough to get the registration and insurance changed over, no problems.  It's now correctly registered as a 1960. 

Good luck!
Mike 

Chad M

Thanks guys,  very interesting regarding the B's,  I didn't expect to see that.   

I wonder if they were still assigning a model year based on what year these trucks were first registered?

I will get the Heritage Certificate ordered in the coming weeks and put this issue to rest.

Chad.

Chad M

UPDATE:  I received the Heritage Certificate and have a build date of November 1965.  That should be sufficient fodder for the registry to get the model year changed to 1966.