Bomber Command museum, Nanton AB

Started by Trevor, July 29, 2019, 09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

On the trip home from Ouray I stopped at the Bomber Command museum in Nanton. It's a stop I've been wanting to make for, oh, the last dozen trips or so but never did. This trip the timing was perfect so I stopped for a look.

If you are at all interested in military history and haven't been to this museum, do yourself a favor and take the time for a visit. It is well worth it. The top draw is obviously their Lancaster bomber. It is an impressive aircraft, more so when you are right up close (and get a tour of the inside too, VERY cool). My uncle was a tail gunner in one during the war so I grew up around pictures and war memorabilia of these aircraft.

There's many other great aircraft to check out as well. They've got a Bristol Blenheim, Harvard, ME 109 mock up, and many others. Also the venerable Tiger Moth which got thousands of commonwealth pilots their wings.

But what I enjoyed even more than the planes themselves was the surprising amount of effort the museum has put toward explaining what bomber command was all about, what the crews in the various craft were responsible for, and the great detail in mapping out all of this through numerous displays. They also stay close to their roots, and provide some great walk throughs of the lives and contributions of local Nanton area men who paid the ultimate price in defending our freedoms.

It was quite moving, extremely interesting, and a place I will certainly visit again. I highly recommend it if you are in that area.   
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

I've been thinking about going there one day...Sounds better then I had imagined!  Thanks for the write up Trevor ;-)
Cheers, Bill

xmod109

I've been down there 4 or 5 times now, it is a great place to visit. Not as fancy or big as the Ottawa museum but perfectly suited for the area and location. I found that the whole town is involved in its operation with many people even moving there just so they can be involved with the museum or the restorations. It is definitely worth the trip.