Hotstart Tank Type Coolant Heater in a 2.5 NA?

Started by xmod109, June 20, 2019, 12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xmod109

I picked up a Hotstart Tank Type recirc pump to install as a coolant heater on my 2.5NA.
I was hoping that it could be quickly installed but now it looks like I have to pop a frost plug and still need to determine a good return hose. With  the 2.5na the thermostat housing is a bit restrictive.

Anyone installed one on a 2.5 NA before? :o

Red90

Why not just use a normal frost plug heater?  They work better and you don't have the plumbing issues.

ugly_90

My 1995 original 2.5NA doesn't have a frost plug hole. Others do. Might not have been in that run of contract or production. Never saw an army rebuild shop either.

xmod109

I have a heater in the rad hose lower line but I thought this might work better as it has a circ pump.  Starting to look like too much work now, more suited for a modern diesel with multiple coolant hoses. Recircing though the heater bow of an un-insulated 109 probably won't do much. :-\

Matt H

We have the Temro 1000W  in-line type fitted to a 1985 Volvo Wheel Loader at work. At -35 it heats the entire unseated shed and fires that big bitch up first crank!
I've used them on 16L Diesels. Easy to fit in the heater hose and I swear they are nuclear powered they warm the block so well. Cost around $80-$60.
My 2c
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

ugly_90

It looks like Rio Tinto used the Temro in line heater for their diesel Landcruisers in NWT. A note upon disassembly though, be sure to use some electrical grease on the plug at the heater, they failed to, and the contacts on the heater side are corroded.

As with a few of my 2.5 blocks, their 4.2L engines may lack a frost plug.