M5 Gone! Back to a stable full of Land Rovers!

Started by Mark, February 16, 2015, 07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

So, after I wrote off my silver '04 D2 I thought I'd try another BMW. I had always wanted an E60 M5 which for you F1 fans out there, is essentially an F1 car guised as a family sedan. I have seen the BMW Sauber V10 cutaway next to a S85 (M5 engine) cutaway. They are almost identical in design. That car was really, really fast but it just wasn't the same as my D2. Not to mention, it was straight piped so while the sound was intoxicating to car guys, it's not so much to an angry wife on mat leave at 7:30 every morning. I decided that I needed to get rid of this thing. I looked on Auto Trader and Kijiji only to find all the other ones I looked at last October were still for sale.

Seeing that, I realized an immediate sell wasn't going to happen so I asked our sales manager at work if they'd take my car on trade for the cheapest vehicle on the lot. I didn't care what it was. I just needed to get rid of the M5 so I could find a mint P38 and as luck would have it, some may call it bad luck, we had a 2002 Freelander HSE on the lot. It would barely move and it sounded like a coffee can of marbles when it ran. It sounds perfect I said! After 2 VIS motors, spark plugs, air filter, and a full tank of Shell V-Power, she's quiet and runs like a top! It's actually pretty nice to drive!

I looked at this P38 and almost pulled the trigger but with the dammed exchange rate being what it is, the deal just didn't make sense. I talked the guy down to $11,000 but it still would be close to $17,000 by the time it got here. It's in unreal condition but I couldn't justify  it. Here's the link: http://www.dcmotorcars.com/index.php/vehicle?vid=5-2l1421871085

After an unsuccessful, albeit short and exhaustive search for a mint P38, I found this Adriatic Blue 2004 D2 in Lethbridge. I've never seen one that colour. I probably will see them now that I have one….

One of my old co-workers picked this up in San Diego about a year and a half ago. He switched jobs and was forced to sell. The guy I bought it off of needed the money for a down payment on a house. I went through the truck when my colleuge brought it up from California so I knew it quite well.

Now, let the mods begin. I'm going to take a slightly different path than I did with the silver one. Regardless, it's gonna be fun and it's good to be back!

1993 Range Rover County LWB - Ardennes Green
2006 LR3 HSE - Java Black
2008 LR2 HSE - Orkney Grey

1984 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 - Guards Red

Trevor

That's great to see you back in LR's Mark! That D2 looks sharp, I quite like that colour. Same year as mine too. With all the fun I've had with mine I can certainly vouch for the fact that they're extremely capable offroad!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Great to hear Mark!!!!   But I'm a bit confused....did you keep the freelander too?
Cheers, Bill

Mark

Quote from: binch on February 16, 2015, 10:19 PM
Great to hear Mark!!!!   But I'm a bit confused....did you keep the freelander too?

Yes... so far. Now, I am going through it and bringing it up to snuff before I sell it.
1993 Range Rover County LWB - Ardennes Green
2006 LR3 HSE - Java Black
2008 LR2 HSE - Orkney Grey

1984 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 - Guards Red