Wondering travellers coming our way

Started by binch, June 11, 2019, 11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

Hi gang,

Through the Land Rover grape vine I met up (online) with Dennis (a Kiwi) and Jen (Pome), a retired couple travelling the world in their land rover.   They've only just begun this second stage of their adventure from Vancouver this spring, after having their Td5 3dr 110 shipped over from the UK in a SeaCan.    They were having a bit of a fuel issue and were put onto me by Rovalution in Vancouver for parts.    I have the part they were looking for and they will be coming through sometime in the near future to retrieve the part.

If you would like to read and follow their trip they are writing regular posts on their blog at www.kiwiandapom.nz      Go have a read and enjoy their trip ;-) ;)
Cheers, Bill

binch

Looks like Dennis and Jen are in Grande Prairie tonite, and heading down to Hinton tomorrow.   I'm going to take a run out to Brule Lake (Peter's Pond) tomorrow and say hello!    They will be staying with Susan and I for a day or two while they do a bit of servicing on their overland landy, laundry and visiting.   Thinking maybe an impromptu gathering on Tuesday or Wednesday, if they are up for a an inquisition by our folks ;-) ::)

Anybody be interested in that....?
Cheers, Bill

camo388

I'd like to meet up with them but Tuesday would be the better day for me.

Bruce

binch

We'll see what day works with Dennis and Jen....if they're interested ;)
Cheers, Bill

binch

Hi folks,

Dennis and Jen are spending today catching up on laundry and truck maintenance so the decision has been made to try and organize a gathering on Wednesday evening (june 19) so they can meet up with some of the club members.   To keep life simple why don't we use Rosario's pub again ;-)

We'll be there about 6pm.   If you like to meet them and pic their brains about there adventures, or just share landy stories why not come out and say hello ;-)

I look forward to seeing you there!!!

cheers, Bill
Cheers, Bill

pechanec

Sounds like a great idea, but unfortunately, it doesn't look like we'll be able to make it.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Lightningpower

Or I'll hit a water filled pothole with my car and knock the lower radiator support back 3 inches. Grrrr. Hope you all had a nice time.

binch

Emad, Toze and his son Derek and I had a quiet supper with them and got a look over their d110 td5 3dr and how they set it up.
Cheers, Bill

Lightningpower

binch

He described his set up in an email to Bruce, say:   I have always felt safer sleeping inside the vehicle rather than in tents or on the roof. Prior to purchasing a vehicle we had decided that we need to be able to cook, eat and sleep inside, especially when weather or conditions are challenging. The 110 Van provided the best flexibility for that purpose and to accept additional mods such as fuel, water etc.  The swing away rear door assists entry too. So, using 5ply panels I set about creating a compartmentalised platform, covered in dense foam rubber to provide the flat surface for our needs. The compartmentalising can be to whatever design you desire. I screwed and glued the panels using light button timber. It has withstood the test of time.

To facilitate comfortable sleeping, we had two opening vents (caravan style) cut into the roof. With netting screens to deter insects. We have a Coleman petrol cooker with the lid screwed to the side for cooking and a side opening Engel fridge/freezer under one of the panels. Water is stored in a 23L wide mouth plastic container which we fitted a submersible pump into and tubes to a dispensing nozzle. We fitted a thin Hella two speed fan for those hot nights, mounted on a swing away adaptor. Power is supplied through a second and independent battery with power supplied via the engine but supplemented by a roof mounted solar panel of, i think, about 130watts. The bigger the better. Jen has made attachable panels of mosquito netting cut to the shape of the front doors and attached at night, with Velcro. The soft side is glued to the door window frame. We have black curtains on curtain wire that remains in place. Same on the back door. A padded foil panel with suction cups holds it to the windscreen at night for dark privacy. 

You can use sleeping bags but we chose to make a sleeping envelope by sewing two single sheets together and use two duvets, one thick, one thin to have under or over us. We use Thermarest inflatable mattresses fro sleeping on. We carry our own pillows. We never sleep better than in the vehicle.

A rear attaching tent, Caranex, was purchased to give us flexibility of movement and extra space. One of the most valuable assets we have is a portable toilet. When you are on the road for an extended time these needs can't always be available publicly. The toilet is stored in a self made metal box on the roof rack. It is bought down when setting up camp and used in the Caranex. A shovel carried on the roof rack is used to dig a hole for disposal, when facilities are not available. Like a toilet, a shower is important too. There are many ways and methods of heating water, and attachments, but we chose a simple but effective Helio Nemo collapsable, silicone rubber, self pressure unit. Water is heated on the Coleman cooker. We cut a flap out of the floor of the Caranex and sewed in a gauze panel to allow the shower water to escape. A large towel was cut to surround the opening and reduce water spread.

I have a couple of pics of the inside but not enough for real detail...I try and post them tomorrow.
Cheers, Bill

binch

Quote from: Lightningpower on June 20, 2019, 12:30 AM
How did they set it up? Pics?

Have a look at their blog...they have some good pics of the inside of their 110 now ;-)

It's very basic but very practical too.  Light weight and ready to travel....
Cheers, Bill