Southern Rockies Exploration Week/Weekend

Started by Red90, June 07, 2019, 08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Red90

August 10-11 weekend with options into the following week.

Meet Friday, August 9 in the evening for camping in the Dutch Creek area.  Saturday, explore some trails on the Alberta side and then cross Racehorse Pass.  Camp Saturday night, possibly at our "usual" spot along Alexander Creek.  For people that want to make it a weekend trip, head home on Sunday.

This may be the last year to drive over Racehorse pass and we had wanted to make sure we took the opportunity.  The area along the divide is under a proposal to become a provincial park and it is highly doubtful travel will be allowed after that point.

See here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/alre_club/collections/72157687086388072/ for pictures of some previous club trips to the area.

For people that want to stay on, the trip will continue into the week for exploration of trails to the west.  The first order of business will be to try the Koko Claims trail that starts just north of Elkford. From there, we are free to explore the roads and trails in the southern Kootenays.  We are leaving the plan open.  It may be another three to five days.  http://elkfordtrails.com/?q=node/5512

binch

ROFL

Oh I remember this well....ahhahahahha Kirk and me.....and I forgot the poles to the tent ahhahahahhhahah

GREAT Weekend!!!!!

Thanks John  ;)
Cheers, Bill

pechanec

Another extended trail trek; sounds right up our alley! Here's hoping Dave is able to deliver a functional Disco in short order 😉

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

pechanec

Please Dave? Please please?

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

B-Red

This looks like a fun weekend. I checked the location and the pictures from previous trips. Are we camping in the Dutch Creek Recreation area camp grounds? Would a trailer survive the weekend activities?
The start location is 500km south of Edmonton by the way. So factor this in your travel plans.
Emad

Red90

We have not set any details. I would prefer a random camp if that is still allowed. There are some nice spots on Dutch Creek.

I would not personally feel comfortable on the BC side of Racehorse with a trailer. It is a steep and rocky hill.

88Hillman

Quote from: binch on June 07, 2019, 10:20 PM
ROFL

Oh I remember this well....ahhahahahha Kirk and me.....and I forgot the poles to the tent ahhahahahhhahah

GREAT Weekend!!!!!

Thanks John  ;)

Poles, we don't need any stinking poles...

Matt H

That looks like my old Range way back when it was almost stock! A great trip.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

I think I'm interested in this one again.....   And Kirk, I promise to bring the tent poles this time  ;D
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

I'm very interested, I'm just not sure I can make the dates work yet.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Gardenome

I'm hoping to make this work as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt H

I could possibly make this work. Be great to get back there again. Likely only for the weekend though.

88Hillman

I'm in, for those that weren't part of the original planning between John, Andrew and myself.

It looks like I'll be bringing the LR3 rather than the 88" at this point for practical reasons.

Just working on a few details prior to the trip.  The winch parts should be here this week and coolant issues sorted this weekend if all goes well.

This will be a bit of a bucket list item for me as my dad has set aside the time to come with us.

Cheers,
Kirk

88Hillman

Who is feeling fairly confident they will attend?

Cheers,
Kirk

Matt H

It's looking good for me at this point.