series 111 oil pressure sensor replacement

Started by RossM, June 01, 2019, 06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RossM

Would anyone know if there is a less expensive aftermarket/alternative electric oil pressure sensor that would work for a Series 111?
The current offerings from the LR parts sellers are $150-$200 plus shipping.

Cheers
Ross

binch

Cheers, Bill

RossM

https://www.roversnorth.com/parts/drc242_sender_oil_pressure_air_core_type_siii

The pressure switch which you show is just for a light. The sensor reads the pressure and is sent to a 100psi gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red90

There won't be any other option than genuine if you want to stay with the original gauge.

RossM

Here is the route I have gone with the pressure sensor. The pressure sensor is Smiths but with a more common thread type and half the price of the Land Rover unit. The adapter piece allows me to still have a functioning  dash oil pressure light as well. Unfortunately needed the elbow to clear the oil filter with the pressure sensor. I may try and make an adapter to reverse the two and lose the elbow but cannot just switch them because they are different threads. The sensor switch is 3/8 BSF thread while the pressure sensor is 1/8 NPTF. Now just need to rummage through the parts bin to find a long enough piece of wire to connect the gauge to the sensor. Exciting stuff eh???? ::)

binch

thinking outside the box....good man!!!! ;)
Cheers, Bill

RossM

Ok not out of the box yet. The oil pressure switch and sensor are supposed to be ground through the engine block. On the original canister oil filter that is no problem as it is all steel. Having converted to a spin on oil filter adapter that is made of aluminium the circuit cannot be completed. The oil pressure light comes on at start up and stays on. Any ideas how to make a ground?

Red90

I'm not sure that I understand the issue.  Aluminum is more electrically conductive than the steel, so should be no problem.  Most oil filter housings are aluminum.  You most likely have a different issue.

RossM

dooh, right! Also don't wrap with teflon tape which interrupts the contact. This is why I don't get paid to do this.  ::)

Red90