Pop top camper roof

Started by headdamage, May 22, 2019, 09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headdamage

brendan leier

Too bad they didn't do a disco, as folks are perhaps more likely to can-open the much more modestly priced cousin?

Matt H

Very smart. Looks as though it doesn't add 6" to the roof like some others I've seen.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

headdamage

The slimness of the conversion is what caught my eye, doesn't look anymore out of place than a tropical roof skin.

headdamage

I think that this roof is made by a UK based company called Drivelodge:

http://drivelodge.co.uk/portfolio-item/land-rover-defender-110

headdamage

Got some more info from the UK maker of these roofs. Cost is 1515 pounds + 250 pounds for the bed base (optional part). The installed weight without the bed base is 60kg. Anyone want to make a group order to save on shipping?

Matt H

I really like the looks of this camper unit and it looks like a great option but unfortunately not compatible with my SD roll cage. 
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

headdamage

I very much like the lightweight and low profile of the Drivelodge Defender roof. The problem is there is no way I can sleep in the 90 version being that I am 6'2" and like to stretch out past that.

It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to extend an expanding section of the fabric past the rear of the 90. The floor could store inside the collapsed roof then be slid to the rear after the hard top is lifted. A hoop could then fold or be fitted into position to hold up the enlarged fabric section.

Is this crazy or does it seem as reasonable as I think it does? I've done a quick photo edit to add a rough idea of what I'm talking about.

jeffrey

You cannot view this attachment.
It looks cool, but expensive when one can purchase a more traditional one for just over $1000 Canadian with no shipping (bought mine from Dan at 4Wheel Auto). It sits high on my Defender due to the big roof rack, but is toasty warm, water proof and takes 5 minutes to get it all set up.  There is also room on the roof rack for other stuff, whereas the more streamlined ones just take up the whole roof.

headdamage

Tried a roof top tent, didn't really like it that much. Might try one again but a hard shell.

Rambler

Quote from: headdamage on September 22, 2019, 03:43 PM
I very much like the lightweight and low profile of the Drivelodge Defender roof. The problem is there is no way I can sleep in the 90 version being that I am 6'2" and like to stretch out past that.

It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to extend an expanding section of the fabric past the rear of the 90. The floor could store inside the collapsed roof then be slid to the rear after the hard top is lifted. A hoop could then fold or be fitted into position to hold up the enlarged fabric section.

Is this crazy or does it seem as reasonable as I think it does? I've done a quick photo edit to add a rough idea of what I'm talking about.

I think it looks excellent.  In a series one owners club issue I saw someone do the same sort of extension thing to the canvas tilt to have their sleeping area a good size bigger (it was an 80").  Good luck
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas