Added a proper upper hatch to the 110

Started by binch, April 28, 2019, 11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

Well thanks to Dave and Berts ragging I have finally replace the big sheet of Lexan with a proper series upper hatch on my 110.    For those who know me and my 110 you'll have seen the big window at the back of my truck, that was simply held in place at the top and the bottom with bit of white oak and tab made from some galvanized sheet metal.   Worked a treat and even survived a couple of vehicles driving over it when it blew off the top of the truck (when I forgot to put it back in place after removing it for one reason or another).   The only thing I hadn't replaced with the new (to me) upper "cat flap" hatch was the stays that hold it up.    The original sliding units didn't mount correctly on the 110 cap so I was looking for a solution.   I came across this video on youtube.com

Seems pretty straight forward and it was.   The struts used are rated at 60lbs each and are way more then required but they are dirt cheap too.    I made both the top and bottom brackets myself using some 3mm stainless steal cut-offs I got from Metal supper market for $5.   The 10mm ball studs come in two lengths but I only used the 1/2" long ones....from Greggs Distributors for just under $5 each (x4).    P38 gas struts are from Britpart and VERY inexpensive (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).   So I finished the install today and the hatch works a treat!!!  Now...how to make a handle to for the inside of the hatch..... :D
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Something new on this subject is that the hatches are now being made again by SP-4x4 with galvanized frames.  Apparently they are working on producing the fixings as well many of which are NLA.

https://www.sp-4x4.com/product_p/320652.htm

binch

I'm quite enjoying this mod to my 110.   Very handy with rain and much less trouble getting the top lexan out hahahahhah.

But I cut out some of the metal to make the glass panel just a weee bit larger.

Good find there John!!!! ;)
Cheers, Bill

Red90

I should add to this, that you only need one gas strut.  One holds it well and is what Land Rover used on stock Defenders.  What I did on mine was use one strut on the right side and retained the solid Series style bar for the left.  That way, if you want to drive with the hatch open, you can secure it with the solid support.

I've attached the parts pages from the Defender catalog as they can be hard to find.

You cannot view this attachment.

binch

Ha Ha Ha......I can attest to needing only 1 of them too!   I used the gas struts from a Range Rover, which sold for 8 quid a pop.     I wasn't sure how strong the were so I went with two.    Turns out I can almost hang from the hatch when it's open LOL.   But I can drive with it open as well as they are held in place so well.    I cut out the hole for the rear glass just a little bit bigger as well, as much as the window frame would allow.   Turns out the spare tire on the back took up most of my view any how.    ;D
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: binch on August 28, 2021, 12:54 AM
I used the gas struts from a Range Rover, which sold for 8 quid a pop.

If you have a look at the parts catalog for the Defender above, you will see that it uses the same strut as the RR.