Flat towing question

Started by headdamage, April 12, 2019, 11:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

headdamage

Is flat towing with a tow bar and no braking system on the the towed vehicle still legal in Alberta?

I'm thinking of flat towing my 90 with my 2500HD Silverado from Calgary to Elkford BC. I know it is border line in BC, my 90 is a bit fat and might be slightly over the percentage of weight allowed for the size of the tow vehicle. Any such restrictions in Alberta?

Thanks.

pechanec

If there are, they are rarely enforced. I've flat towed my discos thousands of klicks, no problem

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Matt H

I flat towed my lightweight with my Dodge truck and again with the Mighty Range Rover up the QE2 highway And passed by several cops with no issues.
This was some years ago now however.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

As I understand it you need brakes if the thing being towing is more than 50% the weight of the tow vehicle. Obviously you must be within the tow rating of the truck.

headdamage

I haven't don much flat towing since I had series rovers. With an LT77/LT230 is flat towing ok by come combination of neutral settings or do I need to pull the drive shafts? Looking at 300 km sort of pulls at around 100 kph.

ugly_90

It seems like a long haul there. Any reason why you wouldn't rent or borrow a small two-axle car haul trailer for the job, and float the LR? I've done the same haul with a 110 and a 3/4 ton, and it was fine. I wouldn't use less towing truck than that though.

pechanec

As long as your LT230 is in neutral, you should be fine. Neutral on the trans shouldn't hurt either. I used to flat tow my manual trans Disco ( when I still had it) that way. Worked just fine. Hauled it all the way up to rycroft and back behind the 5 ton

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk