Inner tubes

Started by headdamage, April 07, 2019, 09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headdamage

Are good inner tubes available or do I just run tubeless on tubed rims?

I have some nice clean welded 5.5x16 rover steel rims I'd like to put a set of good used 235 85 16 duratrac tires on.

pechanec

Tubed rims usually don't have the proper bead seat to seal on a tubeless tire

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Red90

I ran those type of rims tubeless for years. They worked great. They had the hardest bead to break I've seen.

Trevor

Quote from: Red90 on April 07, 2019, 09:35 PM
I ran those type of rims tubeless for years. They worked great. They had the hardest bead to break I've seen.

Ditto. I've had great success with mine as well. If they were ever needing replacement I'd stick with tubed rims if I could.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Rambler

I bought a set of 4 16" inner tubes on the latest seacan order for my series 1.  Ill let you know how I get on with them at the end of the month (or once here).  I can get you the part number in the morning.  They were something like 10 gbp each. 
1957 Series One 88", petrol

SOLD:
'Luna' - Series 2 88", petrol with full tilt, ('61) [Restoration complete in 2020]
'Tardis' - Series 3 88", petrol hard top ('74) .. last seen sunning itself in the Carolinas

binch

I ran my original military tires on tubed rims, with inner tubes and they worked fine...Until you attempted to air them down in any way, shape of form.   They didn't like airing down at all!!!!    And as john can attest...the tires were a lot of work getting off the rim to replace/patch the tubes.

I eventually had the tubed wheels sandblasted and galvanized, when they were getting chipped up and rusty.   Now that the rivets are sealed there's no chance of air leaking and I run those same rims as tubeless, with my winter tires.   In the summer I bring out the tubeless wolf rims and my offroad tires, which let me air down with little trouble. ;)
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

I bought my tubes from KalTire. You need an outlet that deals with Agricultural tires. They usually have tubes.

Red90

Quote from: binch on April 09, 2019, 02:11 PM
And as john can attest...the tires were a lot of work getting off the rim to replace/patch the tubes.

Yep.  Lifting Bill's loaded 110 off the ground with the hi-lift and the beads laughing at us....

Either the newer tubes are crap (most likely) or the un-smooth inside of the tubeless tires rubbing on the tube leads to leaks.  In either case, if you want to run tubes, find someone else to help you patch them every day....   ;D

headdamage

Is a tire shop likely to refuse to mount without tubes on a tubed rim?

Red90

How would the tire shop know?

headdamage

I assume they would notice the lack of safety beads on the rim and comment that these rims need tubes.... no? If not then I'm getting some tires put on tube rims without tubes soon.

binch

I can't find the info right now but I've read that the aussies and south Africans use a couple of inner tubes for wear protection.   one or two tubes are cut open and the complete tube is placed inside them, with the tire on the outside of all the tubes.   Not sure if it works any better but I suppose it can't hurt.... ???
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: headdamage on April 09, 2019, 08:45 PM
I assume they would notice the lack of safety beads on the rim and comment that these rims need tubes.... no? If not then I'm getting some tires put on tube rims without tubes soon.

I've not had any issues with tire shops. Had a few different sets of tires swapped on them.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

pechanec

Further to Binch's comment, tubes are supposed to be installed with a rubber pad on the inside of the rim to prevent chafing or pinholes

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk