Oil Sump Gasket Issue

Started by SpeedyJ, April 07, 2019, 10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpeedyJ

I'm looking for a little help here, I've just R and R'd the rear main seal on my 2.25 in a '61 109 Series II with the engine in situ. They said it couldn't be done, but I'm pretty stubborn and have a very small garage.

Anyway, my current roadblock is the oil pan/sump gasket. I have two paper ones on hand, they are from the usual suspects - Bearmach and Britpart. My problem is that they're just a little short. If I line up the holes at the front of the vehicle I'm coming up 1/3" short at the back. Its enough that if I force it I know I'm going to tear it. These gaskets have been in my unheated garage for 3-4 years.

Are they just poor quality? Dried out? Will newer stock solve my issue? Should I be stepping up to a cork gasket (at 10x the price)? Can I soak them in oil to soften them up in hopes of stretching them?

A slight tangent - does anyone have experience using Permatex Permashield in place of Hylomar Blue?

Cheers

Matt H

RTV gasket maker is your solution. Permatex "The right stuff" is my preferred weapon.
Many OEM use it and if there was a drawback it would be that it holds so well it is difficult to get components apart that are sealed with it.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

SpeedyJ

Thanks Matt. That product name keeps popping up, I may give it a try.

-J