300 TDI turbo replacement

Started by Trevor, March 27, 2019, 09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

The turbo on my Defender is getting near the end of its life. Starting to whine, so I'm planning on swapping it out before it decides to force the issue and starts spitting out parts.

Not a job that I've done before, but having looked over the 300 TDI Workshop manual it looks pretty straightforward. Since I'm planning on simply replacing with a OEM LR (or equivalent quality aftermarket of the same specs), it seems to be a pretty straightforward job....remove the old, bolt in the new.

Is that an accurate read, or are there thing I need to watch for?
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Red90

Yes, simple.  I would suggest getting new OEM turbo oil lines at the same time.  Also a good time to change the intercooler "hoses".  Best to go silicone as the stock ones are not as good and expensive.  Pre-load the turbo bearings with oil.

Note the manifold gasket is a single piece for both manifolds, so they both need to come off.

Trevor

Sounds good John, thanks for the tips.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!