Anyone with a OM617 mercedes conversion

Started by maire, February 28, 2019, 11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maire

Hi, just wondering if theres anyone with a OM617 conversion kit. Just wondering on the parts used in the conversion.  What are the road manners like ? Was it worth the effort etc...

Or if anyone has any parts for the conversion Id be interested.  :)

Or if theres anyone in souther alberta with one ?

Red90

Robert Davis in the States is the one to talk to.  He was doing kits and knows every detail involved.  It is fairly involved as I recall with a custom oil pan and so on.

https://www.defendersource.com/forum/f47/mercedes-om617-powered-110-build-up-42132.html

binch

We've had three of them in Edmonton that I'm aware of.   All were 109".....One in a dormobile and the other two were 5 door.    The engines were very good but the way they were fitted wasn't so good as they outfit that installed them tried to keep the original oil pan.  The end result was crap work on both of them.   But the thread that John shows there sounds like someone was doing the job right!
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

For the work and cost involved I wouldn't recommend these engines. Especially a non turbo.
If archaic, low powered diesels are your cup of tea just throw in a ex-MOD 2.5L na for $500/$600 and call it good. Or do the proven 200tdi conversion.
If you just gotta have one then buy one that has been converted already. Even if it's poorly done it can be improved upon. But remember this is no lightweight of an engine. I think it tips the scales around the 600lb mark??

Performance and reliability compared to almost all other more modern engines that would physically fit and mate up to a transfer case (in a Series LR I assume?) is disappointing in my view. While it was a reasonably strong performer for a light duty diesel in it's day, much of the "ledgendary" reliability is over exaggerated. I've worked on quite a few and constant valve adjustments were needed. Also it's very noisy and has really crappy vibration issues for a 5cyl engine. That's why MB phased it out in the 80's.

Moreover, these days it really hurts the value. Keeping an older Classic Land Rover standard or at least modified with "acceptable" parts from more recent Land Rover models will help stop what would be a $20,000+ unit being worth less than $8,000.

If it were me, I would find a solid 2.25L petrol engine and spend the money on rebuild and carburetor overhaul instead.
My 2c.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Quote from: Matt H on February 28, 2019, 10:00 PM
Moreover, these days it really hurts the value. Keeping an older Classic Land Rover standard or at least modified with "acceptable" parts from more recent Land Rover models will help stop what would be a $20,000+ unit being worth less than $8,000.

Very good point there Matt!!   And 200tdi....my favourite diesel so far.   Cheap and easy to get parts, and just enough power to keep me happy with great fuel economy.   
Cheers, Bill

maire

Thank you all for the replies and advice, really appreciate it.

No, low power archaic diesels are not something im looking for :), from everything I read they sound like pretty nice/enjoyable engines. 

Ive been reading/researching the om617 conversion for a while now and I unfortunately keep coming back to it.
Ive come across a lot of conversions online with this motor and they seem to be installing them fairly inexpensively. I feel that the kit thats  available in the U.S is just to expensive, almost $3500u.s for the kit.   Advanced Adapters has more extensive adapter kits for american engines conversions and there priced under $800u.s ! 

Ill probably do like you all suggest and just keep things simple and keep the 2.25l engine for the time being and just get the truck drivable and running and have some fun with it.

Still, if theres any series land rovers around with this conversion, I would love to see it OR is there are any series land rovers in southern alberta with a 200TDI  :)

The 200TDi does seem like a great engine to repower a series even though finding, getting are not the easiest and cost to purchase is high with the exchange rate.

Red90

If you want to do a complex engine conversion at low cost and do it correctly you need to have the design and fabrication skills. Lots of people do them and don't write about it. Lots of people also do poor conversions and have endless problems. If you do not have those skill and want to do an OM617 talk to Mr. Davis. He does things properly and he is not getting rich selling parts.

Matt H

There is nothing as nice as a sweet running 2 & a quarter Land Rover petrol engine in an 88" It is really a beautiful thing!
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

maire

Quote from: Matt H on March 03, 2019, 06:29 PM
There is nothing as nice as a sweet running 2 & a quarter Land Rover petrol engine in an 88" It is really a beautiful thing!

Well, that's pretty convincing to keep it original then. I guess I'll just focus on getting the original
Drivetrain In good running condition and go from there.
Thanks again to all the replies.

ugly_90

The LR 2.5 petrol and NA/2.5T diesel might be worth consideration as well before a LR tdi or another make of engine in a SWB series. If you have a good 2.25 already, its probably worthwhile to stick to that.

Towing a boat with a fivedoor 109 loaded with four people on a mountain highway might beg more engine options than i've suggested here. That doesn't seem to be in the scope.

Dogteam

Don't . Just .....don't .
I'd show you my OM617 conversion and scare you straight...if I could drive it for more than 5 minutes without overheating.
I'd throw a 200tdi in it, or an iron duke if I wanted petrol...but I don't have the skills or facilities to do it myself, nor the deep pockets required to have someone else do it .

Mike