rope shackles

Started by binch, February 07, 2019, 08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

I see Britpart has started carrying Rope Shackles now!   About time.....  one more light weight bit of kit that won't kill me when if it fails...I hope.

https://www.britpart.com/parts/winching/winching-accessories-and-kits/winching-accessories/shackles-and-pulleys/da7336/
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Must have for any recovery kit imo. Really handy for rollovers as you can get them around frame and linkages that d-shackles won't fit.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Quote from: Trevor on February 07, 2019, 08:43 PM
Must have for any recovery kit imo. Really handy for rollovers as you can get them around frame and linkages that d-shackles won't fit.

a fraction of the weight for equal strength, flexible and not likely to break windows if loose inside vehicle too!   But they aren't as durable as a hunk of metal, and won't last a million years like the metal and can't be used to find off bears like the metal ones LOL

;D
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Quote from: binch on February 08, 2019, 12:30 PM
Quote from: Trevor on February 07, 2019, 08:43 PM

a fraction of the weight for equal strength, flexible and not likely to break windows if loose inside vehicle too!   But they aren't as durable as a hunk of metal, and won't last a million years like the metal and can't be used to find off bears like the metal ones LOL

;D

Weeeellll, you can use them to fend off bears if that's your thing. I'll stick with a .357 Mag on my hip or a 45/70 slung over my shoulder. :)

But I got your back if you want to try and d-shackle him to a tree or something! We'll get that on YouTube and make a few bucks.  ;D
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

pechanec

I guess it's good britpart finally got in on the act. Personally, we happily order recovery gear direct from ARB. And for bear-fending, I'm partial to .303; it's even British- correct

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

binch

hahahh   Maybe even whitworth tooled!?!? ;D
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

I was under the impression harsh language would suffice?
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on February 10, 2019, 02:20 PM
I was under the impression harsh language would suffice?

As long as it's followed by an aggressive finger wag, then you're good!
― George Orwell, 1984

Red90

binch

LOL...... I remember that one....

Cheers, Bill

Trevor

― George Orwell, 1984

Gardenome

My brain couldn't figure out how the tension just didn't continually increase until the rope snapped but then I remembered the half speed rule. Very cool.

https://youtu.be/nVnbPNyLu_c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

binch

That was quite interesting Ian!     It was good to mention that this method doesn't give the same amount of pull from the winch when pulling the vehicle backward.

thanks Ian
Cheers, Bill

Gardenome

And his comment that a hand winch would be similarly effective (shown via math) was interesting too. Almost not worth the extensive setup to winch backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red90

If you had a hand winch, you can simply direct pull from the back.