Proper tools

Started by ugly_90, February 07, 2019, 11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugly_90

As another update, I've been replacing some of my low-grade handtools with better units where appropriate.

For this, there are the various tool truck brands, and then your CT/Craftsman and even Matco, some of which are often supplied through same second-tier distribution company.

For top-end tools, I've had luck with listings on the webpage of toolchat.net, referencing which USA made Williams tools are rebadged Snap-On, and which Stanley part numbers are resold as Proto, etc. Some big discounts there. The correct tools are often available via Amazon.

Similarly, and surprisingly, I have had some of my lowest list and all-in pricing for some Canadian "Gray Tools" when bought online from Staples.ca. It seems their distribution network doesn't handle the tools with any extra charges from Ontario when they ship it on a pallet of printer paper and you pick it up in your local store.

Maybe some leads there.

Lightningpower

This is a good discussion. If we were to make a list for all the garage-sale devotees, which are the ones worth picking up?

I always grab MAC, Snap-on, Proto, Gray, Craftsman (the older ones) and Westward. Are there other brands we should look out for? Or scratch off the list.

I avoid anything that clearly has poor chrome or says 'Taiwan' or 'China.'

CG

ugly_90

That approach would be a bit of a miss.

Tools lately are usually made to a grade or a quality. There are only a few major tool companies left at the top end, like Stanley-Proto, Snap-On group, and Canadian Gray. Craftsman tools used to be high-grade before about 1991 or so, and then they switched manufacturers.

Matco, Craftsman, Kobalt, perhaps Westward may be produced by the same holding company, "Danaher Tools"

You generally seem to get what you pay for in handtools, but should always look out for exceptions and opportunities. A few fellows may have the Snap-On or Mac Tools tattooed on their arm, but that misses the point.

For tools that are rarely used, I would expect quality becomes less important. I have noticed many BluePoint tools to be Taiwan-produced. I assume one could do much better when comparing pricing between BluePoint and quality asian brands.

Lightningpower

I bought all my craftsman goodies in about 1990 and they seem great.

What are the 'quality asian brands?'

ugly_90

As the BluePoint tools are often Taiwan-produced, Elora in Germany has their own comparable line of discount Taiwanese tools as well, called Elofort, supposedly produced to a high standard. I once found a single wrench in the dash of a 110 I was dismantling. The wrench was Toptul brand from Taiwan, which seems to have some following overseas. Perhaps Toptul makes for other labels, I don't know.

I notice they have some "Kincrome" australian branded socket sets at PA now, they might have picked them up surplus, but they aren't going cheap. They are Taiwan produced as well.

I haven't seen remarkable quality from any Japanese handtools, although several are designed to be attractive.

Matt H

I've been using Sears and Canadian Tire tools every day for many years. They seldom, if ever fail and if they do are easily warranted. I've worn out a few ratchets but that's about all.
I do have a few special snap on and MAC tools but not very many.
For general hand tools I never really saw the point in spending $200 for a fancy screwdriver or wrench set?  My tools are supposed to be making me money so unless they pay for themselves immediately I can usually make do without.
My present work situation where my tools are at a high risk of rusting or being lost makes the use of less expensive tools more attractive.

I'm not saying the expensive brands are not worth the extra $ if you like the quality tools. I am just relaying that my experience with the 'lesser' brands is satisfactory as far as I'm concerned.
My 2c
No Road Except For Land-Rover.