Chinese Diesel Heater (Webasto / Espar Alternative)

Started by Aaron, February 03, 2019, 07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

The Chinese manufactured diesel fired air heaters have been receiving a lot of good reviews across the campervan communities the last couple years and I took a chance to try one out from eBay.  Most of these heaters appear to be direct copies of the Eberspacher Air Heaters for a fraction of the cost.

The one I got was a 3kW all-in-one unit with fuel tank, fuel pump, heater, and controller all in a self-contained metal case for $260CAD shipped plus it includes a handy remote.  I chose this one so that I could carry it between my truck and camper trailer as needed (although there'll be some connecting/disconnecting of air intake, exhaust, and power lines involved).

Link (price has increased some):
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Diesel-Air-Heater-3KW-12V-All-In-1-LCD-Switch-Remote-For-Truck-Motorhome-Q5/254013317306?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Less expensive 2kW "assembly yourself" package at $190 that would be more suitable for Defender install:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2KW-1224V-Diesel-Air-Heater-LCD-Thermostat-For-Motorhome-Car-Truck-Boat/332941445507

The unit arrived on Thursday last week and the cold weather snap this weekend was a great opportunity to put it though the paces.  Results below:
Outside Temp = -27C (-39C with windchill)
Camper Trailer = Moderately insulated 16' trailer (think slightly larger than a Boler)
Inside Temp After 15 minutes = -10C
Inside Temp After 45 minutes = +10C
Inside Temp After 2 hours = +16C
Inside Temp After 4 hours = +22C
Final temperature differential after 4 hours = +49C
Fuel Used = ~1.5L

While some of the accessory parts certainly aren't top notch, the unit itself appears well manufactured and good quality and it's more than met my expectations.  I know that not everyone supports purchasing these Chinese knock-off, but if anyone in the Calgary area is looking at getting one and wants to see an example before ordering, they're welcome to come take a look.