Hinge recommendations for defender 110

Started by grizzlychicken, January 07, 2019, 12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grizzlychicken

Hi guys,
So my hinges have worn out and wondering what everyone is using. Looks like there are fancy options or the basic $15 britoart hinges.
I actually like the look of these hinges from optimal racing
http://optimillraceproducts.com/product_info.php?products_id=35{1}1{4}8{6}12
They seem spendy!
Although price is for 8 and looks like a set of 4 aluminum are £200 ish so need 2 sets. ( from paddock pricing)

Any thoughts? Want good hinges painted or anodized black
Cheers
Shane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red90

OEM TD5 hinges.  They are zinc plated with bushings.

binch

John are those the BDB710200,10,20 & 30 ???
Cheers, Bill

grizzlychicken

Thanks John. I am curious about the ones you recommend here too. I found this bearmarch kit:
https://bearmach.com/door-hinge-bolt-kit-bk-0353
Think the same part number as binch

Red90

Quote from: binch on January 07, 2019, 11:22 PM
John are those the BDB710200,10,20 & 30 ???

Yes, the newest numbers are

LR077707 / LR077708 (upper)
LR077690 / LR074026 (lowers)

I would suggest getting genuine ones if you don't want to worry about it again, although they are 4 times the cost of aftermarket.  You need to trim a bit from the door capping on earlier doors.  This is one of those things that nobody has really investigated as to whether or not the aftermarket stuff is properly built.  It is too bad the magazines do not do useful things like that.

The one thing that worries me about all of the fancy billet options is to whether or not they have done the hinge part properly so that it will last.

Matt H

I just bought the Britoart S3/DEF standard replacements. Not the best but do the job for the $$ spent. They are cheap and simple to replace. If you clean and lube them often they will actually last quite a long time.
My 2c.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

My experience with them is they become loose after a few years. The TD5 hinges have a better design. The aftermarket ones are cheap and still much better than the old style.

binch

Thanks John!  Great news and gives me a cunning plan  ;)

Seems I can get the complete kit with shims, anchors and screws dirt cheap.   Kit is DA1070 for regular fasteners but DA1070SS comes with Stainless steel fastners.
Cheers, Bill

grizzlychicken

Great info thanks. Think you just saved me big bucks!
So with the td5 zinc plated hinges is there any issues with having them powder coated? Would the process  allow paint to contaminate and gum up the hinge? Anyone done that with hinges? Or are you straight painting them?

And addition to that:
Who do you use for powder coating in Calgary?
Who would you use for anodizing aluminum?

Cheers
Shane

Red90

I would be concerned with the powder coating oven damaging the plastic bushings in the hinge unless you can take them apart. Paint should be fine with the correct primer.

grizzlychicken

Thanks Red!
So for second row doors I am looking at ordering the same kit as the front doors:
BK 0350
https://bearmach.com/door-hinge-bolt-kit-bk-0350
would you just order 2 of these kits one for the front row doors and one for the rear or would there be a separate kit for the rear doors.  The only difference I see is the bolt holes for the mirror assembly.

Quote from: Red90 on January 09, 2019, 07:05 AM
I would be concerned with the powder coating oven damaging the plastic bushings in the hinge unless you can take them apart. Paint should be fine with the correct primer.