New project

Started by headdamage, December 23, 2018, 08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

headdamage

I'm committed to a new project now...

Yesterday I did a 1300 km round trip to Idaho and back and now there is an Isuzu 4bd1t with a KLR performance turbo and an LT95 all with about 50000 original miles in the back of my 2500HD. These came out of an ex military Australian Perentie 6x6.

I was trying to find a 4bd1t and use an NV4500 transmission but because this is a proper factory rover installed version of the 4bd1t and it has it's original LT95 I'm thinking I might use the LT95. The LT95 is also set up for a front mount PTO winch and it has the drive output for a third rear axle should I ever go nuts and want to build a 6x6 rover ;)

I think this motor will put out around 150 hp and 300 ft/lbs torque with the aftermarket KLR turbo system but even stock it should be about 130 hp and 250 ft/lbs which combined wih an all gear driven timing/injection train, simple inline 4 4 cylinder layout etc...  make it, perhaps, the best motor that has ever been fitted to a land rover.

Really looking forward to getting this one on the road :)

binch

Well done Andrew!!!!   It sounds like mecca hads moved to Calgary now  ;D    What now that you have the engine..what are you going to put it into....Your 90?  ???
Cheers, Bill

headdamage

I could put it into the 90 or the RRC but I think it really needs a 110 or 130 to really take advantage of it. Or if a 6x6 rover frame happens to be kicking around let me know ;)

I need to finish getting the 200tdi into the 90 first.

Red90

Holy crap.  If it has a KLR turbo, you stole it.  The turbo kit is $3000.  If I had known that, I would have bought it.

Matt H

Yes, build a 6wd.  8)
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

headdamage

Looks like it might be 160 hp and 350 ft/lbs.

Seeing as how this might wonder a little off the beaten path for me I'm wondering if maybe I should work out all the details of the swap on my 90 and use it as a test mule so to speak. Then once all the details and final configuration is settled I can prepare a 110 chassis and galvanize then convert the 90 into a 110 by swapping all the good stuff from the 90 onto the 110.

Crazy idea, fit it to the 90 as above but then cut the back off of the 90 and graft on a chassis extension and a third axle ;)

Seems a shame not to use the 6x6 ability of the transmission, perhaps a driven trailer in lieu of a fixed third axle? I know there are issues with them so this might not really be a good idea.

headdamage

This is sexy...

http://www.thisfabtrek.com/land-rover/land-rover.php

Land Rover   Defender 130 6 wheeler
Diesel engine   2.5 litres 300TDI, 4 cylinders, 111 HP (83 KW).
Maximum speed ever   125 km/h
Dead weight   2,500 kg
Length   5.2 m
Width   1.79 m
Height   2 m
Height with roof gallery   2.35 m (with the boxes on top even higher)
Dimensions of roof rack   2.68 m x 1.48 m
Tyres   BFGoodrich All-Terrains
LT 265/75 R16
Space in back of vehicle
(living in a box)   width 1.43 m
length 2.42 m
height 1.16 m (0.95 m measured at the sides over the wheeles)

As big as this looks in the pic it is still about 2 feet shorter than my 2500hd extended cab but has an 8 foot box.

Matt H

While adding an extra axle to the 90 would probably result in a better configuration for pure off road performance I wonder if it would optimize the 6wd platform if you intend to use it in a more long distance roll?
With the extra axle providing not only drive but increased cargo carrying capacity you could be leaving some of that ability on the table if you opt for a shorter wheelbase? Just a thought.
As always I suppose it's how you intend to use it?
I saw the prototype 101 gun tractor & powered trailer at the Gaydon Heritage Museum once and it looked impressive. As I understand it the project was ultimately shelved however due to issues with the trailer overrunning the tow unit down steep decents and it's tendency to jackknife when powering up slippery hills.

No Road Except For Land-Rover.

headdamage

Got the motor and transmission out of the truck finally, was tricky as the motor is a bit heavier than a rover diesel:

binch

Check out the Kahn Design "flying huntsman 6x6" if you want to get rid of any spare cash.......

https://www.kahndesign.com/creations/creations_detail.php?id=1&i=Land Rover&m1=4&m2=12 8)
Cheers, Bill

headdamage

Giving some thought to the powered axle trailer. Either way it seems a shame not to use the third axle pto for something.

headdamage

This is one of the best looking Rovers I've seen:

binch

notice the two fuel tanks... LOL   ;D
Cheers, Bill

camo388

Quote from: binch on January 06, 2019, 10:05 AM
notice the two fuel tanks... LOL   ;D

Don't be too quick, one could be for water ;D

binch

Quote from: camo388 on January 06, 2019, 01:33 PM
Quote from: binch on January 06, 2019, 10:05 AM