Disco 1 24 spline rear half-shafts and flanges

Started by brendan leier, July 09, 2018, 08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendan leier

So I fitted a trutrac in my early disco 1. The diff was 24 spline so I tried later disco 1 half-shafts. Both models were single piece shaft/flange, i.e. flanges are not removable from shaft.  Sadly, the flange depth on the 24 spline is 15 mil shallower than the 10 spline so the bowl of the flange does not contain the hub lock nut assembly.  Question: what can I fit that will work? I've seen 300tdi discos with removable flanges, mine came from V8.  If it helps, my truck would be the same running gear as the RRC from that gen. Did the 300TDI disco and defender use the same half shafts?  Axle is the rover axle. 

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Red90

It is actually complicated as that era has a different flange bolt pattern to the Defender, used only on the early Disco 1 and RRC. You have to get special aftermarket flanges and the early length 24 spline shafts. There are no genuine flanges as they were all integral flanges. Ashcroft do the special flange and I assume GBR does as well.

https://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/drive-flanges/5806m.html

brendan leier

I was just looking at britpart who only seem to stock a version of Ashcroft. So just the proper length 24 spline shafts and and heavy duty flanges?

Red90

Yes. You need those special flanges. It would not hurt checking with Ashcroft to confirm against your axle code.

Then early length 24 spline shafts. They are longer than the later ones. You can get those aftermarket or genuine. Some early 90s used 24 spline shafts.

brendan leier

Looks like they are 'early rears' from ashcroft. I'm assuming unavailable in NA.  I'm very disappointed in Brexit paradoxically shit-kicking the dollar!