"July 28th 2018 at the Reynolds with Hagerty insurance...youth and stickshifts..

Started by northerndefender, May 22, 2018, 07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northerndefender

I have been asked to pass along this information by Michael at the Reynolds Museum for July 28th.  He is looking for volunteers to show and supervise aproved 15-25 year olds driving their vehicles with stick shifts.  I have included some of their words below and attached the 2 pdfs.

On July 28th 2018 at the Reynolds Alberta Museum in Wetaskiwin, you could be driving a classic car. Hagerty Insurance supported by the Edmonton Classic Sports Car Club and the Friends of the Museum have organized an event to show you how to operate a car with a manual transmission or 'stick shift'.
The best bit is that these will be Classic cars, and their owners will demonstrate how to drive their car before You get behind the wheel and drive it yourself. If you are aged between 15 -25 then you can.
Interested?? You can register and find out more at the Hagerty website https://www.hagerty.ca/corporate/Hobby-Support/Youth-Programs/Hagerty-Driving-Experience
http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/hagerty-driving-experience-coming-to-alberta

binch

Oh now that's terrible timing for anyone doing the AMT trip this year :'(

This would be a great opportunity to interest the younger generation in our world....    But if you're not on the AMT I would encourage folks to head out there for that.   Sounds like a great idea to me!
Cheers, Bill

northerndefender

They really want to get the next generation driving cars not just being seat warmers.

Red90

Having taught a fair few drivers, I would suggest the clutch in a Land Rover is not the best choice.

binch

I taught my kid brother to drive on a JD450 dozer with highlead.   "let you foot off the clutch pedal slowly and let the engine take the load."  I said.    How was I to know he would slide his foot off sideways until the clutch popped!?!?!    Ever seen a dozer pop a wheeling?????     ;D
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

I learned to drive in a Series 3 109". Three point turns were interesting!
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

Quote from: Matt H on May 25, 2018, 07:05 AM
I learned to drive in a Series 3 109". Three point turns were interesting!

1970 Datsun 1200 here, and ditto on the steering!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

bumpydormobile

It would be kind of fun to take the 2A out there... Double clutch on 1st-2nd, use overdrive between gears and move in and out of 4 high and low.  They would run crying!   Except I couldn't put my clutch through that kind of punishment.

northerndefender

I was thinking exactly the same.  We should be encouraging them not scaring the daylights out of them.  Could be a cool prize for the first to successfully downshift into second with out grenading the gearbox :-)