LWB (Series 3 through to 1993) Rear Drum Setup

Started by Red90, March 19, 2018, 08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red90

When I got my 110, I found half of the adjusters on the rear drums did not work.  I pulled off the drums and looked in the manual and it was not very clear how the shoes were meant to be arranged.  A search around the net found TeriAnn's page: http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/landRoverFAQ/FAQ_rearbrakes.htm which explains how it should be.

If you see on her page, she uses the position of the friction material on the shoes to identify which is the leading and trailing shoe as would be normal for any car.  One problem that I found when putting on new shoes is that the new Mintex shoes have the friction material evenly spaced.  Having a closer look, I realized the easy way to spot the difference was the distance between the adjuster pin and the upper spring hole.  The distance is much larger on the leading (front) shoes than the trailing (rear) shoe.  Once you have this in your mind, you can spot them from across the room.

I've labelled the shoes and marked the spring holes for complete reference.

One last tidbit that seems not to be mentioned is which way to turn the adjusters.  They all turn clockwise to tighten when looking from behind.  Note that SWB rear drums are not the same (left is clockwise, right is counterclockwise).  Not sure what the Girling engineers were smoking.