You're not going to like this....

Started by SpeedyJ, September 07, 2017, 09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpeedyJ

Trevor

Unfortunate, but not surprising. The man-made global warming hoax is well entrenched and embraced. Yet another example of its effects. I don't plan on buying any new Jag's or LR's, so no biggie for me at least.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

Everything you touch on new Land Rovers is electric anyway, might as well use it for locomotion as well.

No Road Except For Land-Rover.

SpeedyJ

I just re-read this a bit more carefully. The headline makes it seem like they'll ONLY be available in electric or hybrid, it looks like what they actually said was that all new platforms will have an electric or hybrid option available. That make a lot more sense given the timeline.

Trevor

Quote from: SpeedyJ on September 08, 2017, 11:12 AM
I just re-read this a bit more carefully. The headline makes it seem like they'll ONLY be available in electric or hybrid, it looks like what they actually said was that all new platforms will have an electric or hybrid option available. That make a lot more sense given the timeline.

From a performance standpoint, if you want to build something that really gets up and boogies, the hybrids are actually a pretty good option. Electric motors that serve to get power to the ground immediately, combined with big beefy 500+ hp gasoline motors that keep you moving atmach+ speeds, are becoming all the rage in the supercar market.

It's not at all "green" mind you, but it goes REALLY fast, and that's what's important! :)
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

headdamage

Because of the torque characteristics of electric motors a hybrid off roader could be very nice if executed properly. 

The British military experimented with a hybrid Series III 109 in the 60's where a combined generator/motor was fitted to the PTO port of the t-case.

Red90

Trevor

For anyone interested in a broader perspective on the issue.

https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2017/09/11/cant-beat-em-ban-em/

A quote I quite like from the article...

"More than a century ago, technology liberated the average person, expanded his horizons. 100 years down the road, technocracy is bound and determined to reverse that."

So true.
― George Orwell, 1984

Already a Rover

I'm going to have to speak up here. 

"It's obvious to anyone who does the math – the EV buy-in cost vs. the cost of gas for an otherwise similar IC-engined car. It doesn't add up, not favorably, anyhow. "  Check that math, it actually does work out.  And more importantly, it will continue to get better and better, as-in more range, less cost. 

I appreciate some are suspicious and mandating EVs is a thorn in the side, but.....

Right now, if you own two cars, the second one - which you drive around town in, not on long trips (which is 95% of most peoples' driving) - really should be electric.  I got mine for about 17K used, with 25,000mi on it.  It drives like a rocket and has only one moving part, with 2 x $12 bearings on each end.  Change oil in the gearbox every 90,000 miles.  The batteries are good for 2,000 charge cycles, which is over 300,000K.  I use maybe half the range on a busy day, plug it into 110V every night (or two or three) and it costs about $20 a month for electricity (I get mine from windmills, so it costs about 10% more....).   Compare that to driving around in my Series, and - well, compare it to whatever you want; it works out to about 200mpg hwy, 250mph city (at $0.95/litre).  Winter driving, worst-case is about 20% loss of of range to keep the batteries and passengers warm (gas engines cost you more in the winter too, not sure how much).

I'm not too up on hybrids, but that would definitely be my choice if I had only one vehicle and it didn't need to be a truck (I have 4....).   

Trevor

I have no problem with electric or hybrid cars if they are allowed to stand on their own and the market (if there actually was a functioning market anymore of course) determine whether they succeed or fail. We have nothing remotely close to that now, and less on the horizon unfortunately.

― George Orwell, 1984