Moab 2018

Started by Trevor, September 05, 2017, 01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

Quote from: Trevor on May 07, 2018, 08:30 PM
Engine is running very well Bill. Mechanical fan is keeping it cool enough, but I'll need to sort out a new electric option when I get back just to get the advantage of that big rad. But overall, it's doing very well!

Great to hear!
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

I stumbled upon this video and I thought some of you might find it interesting. For those that have not seen  Hells Gate it gives you a better perspective of how steep it actually is.

The fact that he flops his Jeep on its side is an added bonus :).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2hQyaNgV_w
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

Cheers, Bill

Matt H

With my recent unfortunate retirement from the AMT this year I'm seriously interested in making it back out to Moab.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Matt H

I'm all booked for Moab this year. Really looking forward to getting back on the 'slick-rock' again and checking out those truly breathtaking vistas. My wife Joy and son Jason will be accompanying me this time.  8)

Trevor

Sounds good Matt! Will be great to finally meet Joy and your son. I'm sure they will have a lot of fun down there!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Trevor

We had a rollover on this trip. The fella behind me was coming up a fin on Hell's Revenge, got his D90 hopping, and tipped off a roughly 8 foot ledge to plant firmly on his roof. Fortunately he had a roll cage. Good example of what tall skinny tires on the nice narrow footprint of a Defender, and a lot of weight up high, will do when you let it get away from you.

Fortunately he was not badly injured. He chipped his knee and had a concussion. This was about the 1/2 way point of the trail so Matt and I got him off the trail and then I ran him over to the hospital.

The picture is in Moab Motorsports yard after the recovery. I kinda like this shot because it shows his very cool tow rig that was used to get the D90 off the trail.

You cannot view this attachment.
― George Orwell, 1984

Matt H

I think, understandably, this was a heartbreaker for poor John. I hope he doesn't throw in the towel with Land Rovers and off roading. 
He had put a lot of time and effort into that unit, it was just set up all wrong for the Moab terrain. I've seen the aftermath of plenty of Land Rover roll overs during my time in the Army. Because of this the first modification I made to my Defender when I finally got my own was to fit a quality roll cage.
After watching how fast and hard John came undone I was very glad he had one too. It's no exaggeration to say that it saved his life!

If you have a utility Land Rover and you go off road, you should take a look at this picture and at least consider some sort of roll over protection. The roof is in no way strong enough to withstand even a light/slow roll or flop.

And on a less serious not, that recovery unit was super cool. I'm actually surprised the Defender is not more beaten up from being recovered from it's very awkward resting place and then getting dragged along the remainder of the trail! Those guy really know their stuff.

Trevor

Yes, that was a heartbreaker for John. He had done a lot of work on that D90. He certainly was grateful of the cage though, and understandably so. I tend to agree, if it were not in there I doubt he would have made it.

Thankfully the side-by-side was beside him as well when he landed. I'm not sure if he would have taken another roll if it weren't there because he did plant pretty hard square on the roof. But if he had the momentum to take another roll, it was about 100ft straight down the next ledge.

I had been waffling on getting a cage for the Disco. This event un-waffled me!

― George Orwell, 1984