2014 Mayhem winch challenge

Started by binch, May 18, 2015, 03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

I just got a couple of pics from my friend in the UK, who's just returned from the AE4x4 2015 Mayhem Winch challenge.  His S111 with a 200tdi engine in it failed to complete on the second day when it's steering relay shaft snapped.   But he said it was a great time!!!   I'm sure they have some pics posted in the next couple of weeks.

But if you want to see what it's like have a look here:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=06E10657D5FEA794&id=6E10657D5FEA794%21438&authkey=%21ALaD2UDGlsWcsDs

I actually made it into one of the pics (134) 8)

Now double the slope angle and you'll get the idea.    Big tires for these folks would be 35", but you may have as many as 3 winches on board some of the vehicles.     Something worth seeing....Right Norman???
Cheers, Bill

Trevor

Looks like it would be a fun thing to watch. I definitely wouldn't want to be the winch bitch though!

Do they have vehicle size restrictions in those competitions? Some of those rigs are modified to the point of being a side by side, whereas others are more standard build Defenders, etc. That struck me as a bit odd as it would seem to be pretty advantageous to be driving something closer to a side by side rather than a normal, say, D90.

Or is it different classes that we are seeing?
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

binch

The ones that look like side by sides are just about the same size as the 90 Just more tubular construction.   In fact...the majority of the vehicles there were pretty much d90 based vehicles.  There was a Mercedes G wagon type, a few Suzuki screamers, and a couple of 110's (but they were all in the single winch class). 

The classifications are "not to bright", "quite gullible", "rather thick" and "flipping nuts".    Truthfully there are several classes but I'm not sure how they work.  Rob went in a novice in the single winch.  The tubular trucks with 3 winches (back, middle and front) are open class.    But when you watch the two man teams (driver and winch bitch) work together you see some pretty amazing techniques in action.   Stuff that would amaze you considering what they are climbing over, around and through. 

If you want to learn something about winching....you really got check this type of event out!!!   You can't appreciated the angles they are working with in those pics at all.
Cheers, Bill