Family Canoe Day on Saturday, July 15 at Elk Island Park

Started by binch, July 12, 2017, 06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

Chris and Dave have organized this day long outing for us ;)

Canoe Day 15 July at Elk Island park that weekend. 

For those wanting to come out for the day to canoe, we will use the main parking lot and canoe launch area at Astotin Lake, Elk Island Park, with the RV at 1000 hours.  The park will be busy that weekend (Canada Parks Day), so if you are renting a canoe from them, please book soon.  Rentals - Elk Island.

To access the area you can drive east of Edmonton on Hwy 16 to the Elk Island National Park gates )approx. 25km east of Edmonton).   Follow the road north through the park to the top 1/4 (approx. 16km from Hwy 16) to Astotin Lake.

OR

If you have time on your hands and want to enjoy a scenic tour........ 
You can take Hwy 21 north through Ft Saskatchewan and turn east at 88Ave (aka Twp Rd 550 and the road east to Josephberg). 
Follow Twp Rd 550 to RR 205 and turn south (right) on RR 205.  (there should be a sign to Elk Island National Park there).
Follow  RR 205 south to Twp Rd 544 and turn east (left).
Now just follow Twp Rd 544 east right to the park gates.    Once inside the park you will follow the shoreline road south and east around Astotin Lake to where we will meet up.

cheers, Bill

Now, my question for you is.....Who wants to meet for breakfast on Saturday morning, on the drive out  ;D

Cheers, Bill

B-Red

Stopped by Totem today to rent a Canoe. We have a HIGH maybe to pick up one tomorrow evening. Otherwise, we will be hoping for a miracle. Nonetheless, we will be there for the fun.
Did you pickup a breakfast place and time Bill?

binch

Quote from: B-Red on July 13, 2017, 07:15 PM
Stopped by Totem today to rent a Canoe. We have a HIGH maybe to pick up one tomorrow evening. Otherwise, we will be hoping for a miracle. Nonetheless, we will be there for the fun.
Did you pickup a breakfast place and time Bill?

What do you mean "We have a HIGH maybe to pick up one tomorrow evening".......? ???

We can either stop in at Ft Saskatchewan and then go in the west gate, or do humpties on Baseline and then take the south gate in.    Not heard from anyone yet except yourself and that's fine.   Chris is going to pass and Dave is heading out on Friday I think.

Any one else interested in joining us for breakfast????     I'm thinking of meeting for 8am for breakfast though.....
Cheers, Bill

binch

oh I forgot.....   Both Totem outfitters and Mountain Equipment co-op rent canoes...just to name a couple of places  ;)
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

binch

Okay....here's the game plan for those folks who would like to meet up for breakfast on the way out to Elk Island Park......  We will meet at the Humpty's in Ft Saskatchewan (right on hwy 21) for 0830, enjoy a good breakfast and then head out to the lake from there about 0930 or so.

https://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Alberta/Fort-Saskatchewan/Humpty-s-Family-Restaurants/797007.html
Cheers, Bill

5spd

well, that was a fun day out.  well, okay, a great two hours canoeing and a welcome two hours loafing in the shade.  great to see everyone.

Chris

binch

I enjoyed that too! ;D

It was a good day out with friends.....
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

It was fun indeed. I conquered my fear of Canoes. I think I will do it again.

pechanec

Glad all had fun. Too bad we were working. Maybe next time

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk