Engine oil needed

Started by Gardenome, March 25, 2017, 10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardenome

Sports car Centre is closed today and I need some high zinc engine oil for classic cars. Anyone have some in their garage I can buy or know of another place to get it? Edmonton area.

Thanks,

780-289-0620

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex C

Ian, what engine is it going into ? what KM on engine since last rebuild and what has the engine been run on up to now ?

D90 200Tdi     67 S2a 88"

Gardenome

Very recommend some high zinc 20w50 from Penrite for classic cars. Bill just called and will be at berts in a while. I'll get some then. Thanks for reaching out.

SpeedyJ

I know this is resolved, but I just want to confirm something since you brought up high zinc oils.

The high zinc/classic car/ Porsche oil is only required for engines with solid cam followers? Correct? I remember reading waaaay too much on the topic last summer and coming to the conclusion that a modern oil such as Rotella (intended for use in Diesel engines), is appropriate for 2.25 petrol engine given that it has roller type cam followers.

Has my memory failed me, or should I be trying to track down some high zinc oils as well?

ugly_90

I think you're looking for an oil with high ZDDP level for brass tappets, solid cam followers? For Ian, there must be one oil the series 2A 2.25L engine follows. I would expect a conventional non-synthetic multiweight oil would be best.

There should be acres of oils to choose from. Is this oil meant for a 5,000Km run, or is this only a fill, run and dump to start the engine up?

The Rotella has a high ZDDP for older diesel engines, but there isn't a fully conventional multiweight Rotella that I know of.

Gardenome

Seems to sound much nicer with the correct oil. At least until the fuel pump stopped out in the neighborhood, sigh.

Red90

2.25s have roller lifters not flat tappets.

ugly_90

Quote from: Red90 on March 25, 2017, 03:24 PM
2.25s have roller lifters not flat tappets.
What about the ZDDP levels in oil for the 2.25 petrol then? Conventional or otherwise?  20W50 is to be used?

binch

Looks like you can even go with a 25w70 oil for summer months, for a 'well broken in' engine.

The penrite site has a guide for gearboxs, axles, T-cases, winches, swivel balls, etc too

http://www.datateck.com.au/Lube/PenritePre1970/
Cheers, Bill

Red90

Quote from: ugly_90 on March 25, 2017, 10:17 PM
What about the ZDDP levels in oil for the 2.25 petrol then? Conventional or otherwise?  20W50 is to be used?

I don't see any need for high zddp or a high viscosity.

Alex C

i would be careful using the Aus oil link, their is no compensation for ambient temprature, 15w50 doe my 200Tdi, not in Canada, not even in the summer, and synthetic gear oils are a no brainier in Alberta
D90 200Tdi     67 S2a 88"

Lightningpower

This is very timely for me. I've been struggling to wade through the remarkable number of opinions on oils found on the Internet.

From what I'm reading here, high Zinc oils are really only for the tappets? Do they aide anything else?

I am monkeying with a Series One and would find this helpful.

B-Red

I ran around 15000 km on my rebuilt 4.0 V8 Petro Disco2 engineer rebuilt.  Engine is humming along very well.
I also run 5w40 Castrol Sythatic oil on my other Disco 2 engine with good results.
My understanding is the high zinc content keeps the engine clean on the inside. Not bad idea after investing in a good rebuild.

Red90

Quote from: Lightningpower on March 31, 2017, 08:17 AM
This is very timely for me. I've been struggling to wade through the remarkable number of opinions on oils found on the Internet.

From what I'm reading here, high Zinc oils are really only for the tappets? Do they aide anything else?

I am monkeying with a Series One and would find this helpful.

It can't hurt having it in there.  It was lowered due to affects on emissions systems.  The main benefit is wear protection on sliding surfaces like a flat tappet.  Emad's Rover V8 is a good example of something that should be using a high ZDDP oil and also an engine that should have frequent changes.  Those engines have very high wear rates.

I'm not sure if Series 1 engines have flat tappets or anything else that would make it a good idea.

If oil is something that is important to anyone and they want to know if an oil is working in their engine, then I would suggest getting oil analysis.  You can see if you are changing it too late or too early, the wear rates and you can check for other problems.  Unless you are doing oil analysis and comparing to analysis for the same engine model, you really do not know if the oil is working well or not.

Lightningpower

That's smart. I never thought of doing an oil analysis on a vehicle engine. Used to do them all the time on heavy duty motors driving compressors.