2017 Ramcharger

Started by Matt H, April 17, 2015, 12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

In what could be even more domestic competition for Land Rover's new Defender, Ram (Dodge Truck) has unveiled a Ramcharger concept based on the 3/4 ton Power Wagon.

That means 3/4 ton sized solid axles with selectable lockers front and rear. Remote sway bar disconnects. Winch. 33" all terrain tyres, a manual shift transfer case and the big Hemi.
All in a short wheelbase two door configuration.

Apart from being a little wide it would make for a heck of a off roader and an incentive for all the major players in the SUV market to man up and build better "modifiable" platforms and not just crossovers or vehicles so complex all you can do to them is change the oil. Think of a Ford Raptor based Bronco?

All good news for us I think. Land Rover has NEVER launched a vehicle that wasn't top of its class in off-road ability so the more potent the competition the better the Defender needs to be.....at least that's what I'm hoping.

No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Trevor

That's an impressive rig. I remember the old Power Wagons well, I used to wheel with a guy years ago who had one when I had my K5 blazer. Really good truck. Their recent rendition of the Power Wagon is super solid and extremely capable, but its also bloody big, which was a bit of a drawback for me for wheeling puproses.

The fact that this is looking to be a shorter, SUV format will make it very appealing.

Its fanatastic to see new products like this come into the market. All the better for us as buyers!
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

Freedom Convoy Truckers -- Canadian Heroes!
Justin Trudeau --Enemy of the People!

Matt H

I think if it ever go's into production it will be based on a regular 1/2 ton and in true mopar fashion, stupidly overpriced at +$50k but interesting all the same. Crossovers have had their day in the sun and big 'Rig Rocket' pickups are pretty much useless. It would seem Off road orientated vehicles are definitely on the OEM radar for a comeback.

Being pickup based it would have huge aftermarket support almost right away. 

I always liked full sized K5 Blazers, especially the early 73-75 units with the fully removeable roof. I just sold one actually with swapped in Dana 60 front and corp 14 rear axles. With V8 power and bombproof gearbox/transfer case options they are great builder platforms. Ran a 'built' K10 pickup years ago with the same set up.

Trevor

They really were tough rigs. I had not done much to mine insofar as kitting it out went, but then you really didn't need to. Tires, winch, that was about it I think. That was one tough old girl, really enjoyed that truck.
"You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

hahahaaha   That's why we see so many of them on the road now.......or not ;D
Cheers, Bill

Matt H

As soon as they came out with the short wheelbase four door full size SUV's like the Yokon/Taho etc Anericans got too lazy for the two door units. All that climbing in and out of the back via a flip up seat was just too much. Sadly this convenience also made them attractive to 'soccer mom' demographic. A notoriously ruthless group that can emasculate any vehicle into a mini van. 

Trevor

That K5 era was the end of the "simple" full sized rigs. Basic carb'd V8's that were super simple to work on (and you could sleep in the engine compartment if it was cold...there was enough room), rock solid gearbox and drive train. Powerful, simple, strong.

Then things started to get downsized during the oil crisis and all the emissions changes took hold, and that was the end of it. By the time they started making big suv's again they were a far cry from what they once were. Granted, they are infitely more comfortable now, more fuel efficient and safer by a magnitude that is too high to grade. But they are a much more complicated machine to be sure, and not nearly as rugged as they once were.

Hopefully with this new PW SUV they get a decent blend of the old and the new.
― George Orwell, 1984

binch

Yeah...I remember climbing into the engine bay of my 1970 GMC pickup to do a bit of work.   I had too....   It was the only way I could reach anything!!!!!  But they were nice and simple then.....had to love that!
Cheers, Bill