Series motor

Started by Amac_519, March 26, 2016, 06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amac_519

This is what ive got for bits and pieces. Ill see what looks best

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Red90

Measure the clearances as per the manual.  That is what is important.  If the clearances are fine on the current pump, you would need to look for another cause.

Amac_519

I dont understand what the previous  guy was accomplishing with the brass plug and drilling the new hole. As for clearances it looks like im at the max for all of them

Red90

That is strange.  So, if I understand correctly, two oil outlets have been plugged and a new one added up higher.  Very weird.  You might need to ask on the Series 1 forums and see if someone would know why this might be done.  Or, just put in your other one, if it has acceptable clearances, and "carefully" see if your oil pressure is good.

Have a good look while it is out that the pressure relief if sealing.

Can you tell if the wear on the pump is the housing or the gears or both?

Amac_519

I think its both. My spare housing pieces look better so i plan to use them and i miss matched gears. The powered gear it steal while the idler is aluminium. You can see the scaring in my original housing

Amac_519

Connsidering now that i could pop the brass plug back out and fill in the other hole. Ill have to do a further investigation to make sure something else hasnt been plugged or changed

Red90

I'll just add that the Series 1 club is the best place to get more info.

http://www.lrsoc.com/

Amac_519

Had just found them and registered. Ill ask them too

Red90

Per the book, make sure you prime the pump with a drill and a bucket of oil before install.  Also lets you check it is working.

Matt H

Sorry, I haven't been paying attention to this thread for a while. For some reason I was looking in the technical section?

Anyway. What I think you have there is a modified shaft from an early Series 1 2.0L and one gear from a late Series 1 2.0L and the other gear and original Series 2 2.0L housing. Back in those days mechanical specifications were changed almost monthly and it's possible that a previous owner has just "made it work" with whatever other LR parts he had available. A very common occupancy in the UK back when these older LR were not worth very much. There are certainly different early and late Series I and Series II oil pumps for the IOE 2.0L. Impressive it makes any flow and pressure at all really.

So what now? Well you need to ascertaine exactly what you have for an engine serial number and go from there. If it is a non original block or an engine made up from parts of other engines then honestly you may be better off with your original plan of swapping in a nice 2.25L with a Series III synchromesh gearbox. Parts for the 2.25L are easier to come by and much cheaper.
Trying to make a reliable, useable engine from mixed matched parts is not going to add any value and just cause frustration. Is it as desirable as the original 2.0L? No. But that may be long gone already.

Identify what you can and try to find out if it is original to the vehicle. Perhaps it's just the pump that has been messed with? Or perhaps it's more? The answers to this will lead you to the decision you need to make. Repair or Replace.

My 2c.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.