is the end in site?

Started by binch, April 01, 2016, 09:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

Here's an interesting little tid bit on fuel futures.....a bit of interesting reading. 8)

http://insideevs.com/netherlands-moves-to-allow-only-all-evs-by-2025-no-more-gas-diesel-sales/
Cheers, Bill

Red90

The biggest downside to EVs currently is price.  They are at least double that of a fuel powered car.  If they want everyone to switch to EVs, there is no need to force it.  They just need to raise tax/duty on fueled cars and provide subsidies on EVs.  The market fixes everything.

Then there is the environmental side, but that is too complex to discuss.

B-Red

Until they can figure out reliable clean sources for electricity, the environmental impact of the electric car is only 10% better than petrol and diesel over the life cycle of the vehicle. There is intensive carbon foot print involved in producing the batteries. Power from Hydro dams, nuclear, fossil files have their environmental impact. Solar also has technical challenges to come.

The solution is more vertical cities with elevators and smaller commuting times. I worked hard over last ten years to adjust my employment and my residence to be within five to ten minutes walk from work,shopping and public transportation hub. My vehicle use has been reduced to 20 minutes a day instead of two hours a day as before. This changes when work requires out of town travel or when the weekend comes ;-)