Cleaning

Started by Gardenome, March 13, 2016, 07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardenome

I have my axle all apart and am looking for suggestions on cleaning everything up before reassembly.

What have you found that cuts the grease and leaves everything shiny again?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt H

Sadly, elbow grease is the only key ingredient that makes much difference. But in general the worse a cleaning agent is for your health and the environment, the better it cleans.

I try to pressure clean the entire assembly first then use a selection of Scrapers, wire brush, dish soap and water with a scrub brush and finally brake clean or an acetone before painting. Works ok.

My 2c.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

binch

Check with Dave Lovelock.....We found a environmentally friendly parts cleaner last summer that worked a treat!!!!    We got a 60lt tuperware tub and soaked a bunch of suspension parts and they came out very nice indeed.   I think it was from Princess Auto but I can't quite recall.  But Dave will remember...... ;)
Cheers, Bill

B-Red

I came across this today. Looks fantastic. Worth exploring further for a club aquasition or shop.
http://www.cleanlaser.de/wEnglish/produkte/high-power-cl-1000.php

You tube videos shows it cleaning rust on steel and paint very effectively. Makes restoration work easier.

Check it out and let me know what you think.
Cheers. Emad

Gardenome

http://www.wastemin.com/discuss/index.php?threads/industrial-degreaser-performance-ratings-how-the-top-15-degreasers-stack-up.6/#.Vu23wkXOfCQ

Interesting list. #2 on the list has some appeal. Doesn't look to be available in Canada except online and fluids are heavy to ship.

Decisions, decisions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

binch

I'm not sure but this stuff looks like what dave was using.....and it worked GREAT!!!!
Cheers, Bill

Already a Rover

I concur with the soaking, even just soak-down the component with degreaser a couple of times over two days.  Then the pressure-washer.  I have done this twice in two weeks (once without pre-soaking, and it makes all the difference - practically no hand-work required.  If there is nothing in the above which you didn't already know, perhaps the final step before paint:  wash with soap and water, then rinse with clean water and vinegar to get the final oil film off.  I my minions were elsewhere, so had to do it myself.

I've heard of that laser thing.  Let's buy it and keep it at my house.

Pics from the second time.  I reapplied the degreaser for a second spray - the whole process took maybe a couple of hours.

B-Red

I checked on pricing for the laser cleaner. Needless to say, the car has to be priceless.
It costs $500k to buy or $7500 to rent for a week.
It becomes viable if you are doing a large volume. A defender paint can be stripped to the metal in about three hours. The drive train and engine bay can be degreaser from grime in an hour. So, in four hours you finish what would normally takes two month.

And am sure we can locate a subsidy grant under climate change and antique restorations. Time to talk to the Museum ;-)