Sounds deadening

Started by binch, March 11, 2016, 06:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

binch

I see that BP is carrying the sound deadening kits for the defenders now.   Under bonnet, seat boxes, foot wells and rear tubs.   

Something else I see that's interesting.... BP is carrying a drop down tail gate coversion kit, so it can be converted to a lower half swing door.

interesting....... ::)
Cheers, Bill

Already a Rover

Hi.  Have you been waiting on me to reply on this?   What are they actually selling?  As you might remember, I did a bunch of sound-deadening research last summer, and decided the best bang for the buck was to dampen the vibrations in the sheet metal (and rebuild the tranny). 

The product I bought/used was the equivalent of dynamat, which is a stick-on aluminum foil.  I found it worked wonderfully.  But I also bought an acoustic mat system, which was doubly useful for me, as I wanted moulded floor mats, otherwise, not worth the price.  And I bought solid-rubber-backed closed cell foam-rubber matting for the back, which was also very pricey, but served a dual-purpose.  I would say the foil reduced the sound by 50%.  I have not driven the truck since I got the floor mats and rebuilt the tranny.  I did not do the roof, but would like to, since I still have some tiles left (some kind of insulated aftermarket headliner installed in mine, and I honestly just never thought of pulling it out).

I bought my foil stuff from sounddeadenershowdown.com  Look for "CLD" tiles.  They are about CAN$ 90/box delivered and with 1.5 boxes you can do under and inside the tub, floors, seat bench and back, inside fenders and hood.  Clean, peel and stick.  I think I got the most benefit from inside the cab (incl doors), and the back of the fenders, which you could easily do with one box.

binch

Sorry, Can't tell you what the price is....would have to ask as it's all new stuff.   But this is their website showing what they have....

http://www.britpart.com/parts/vehicle-enhancements/defender/dynamat/
Cheers, Bill

Already a Rover

Yup!  That is the stuff I was talking about.  But you see they are covering all of the sheet metal, and it is ex-pen-sive!!!  I'll bet you have to cut it to fit too, but really all that coverage is unnecessary, only 25%.

In the research I did, the aluminum on the stuff I found was 8thou thick, and the dynamat was six, I think.  It is the aluminum which dampens the vibration (think of an aluminum bell - thunk). 

I'm a happy customer, not making a commission.  This guy was great to talk to, service was great, and he sent free samples of his other products.  He sells a lot of peeps who are making super-quiet cars and then putting in 'nice' stereos, so if you wanted to go that far, his other products would be needed, but he told me to start with the CLD tiles (Constrained Layer Dampening).  He does cars, doesn't just sell the products.

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products/cld-tiles%e2%84%a2

He cuts them down to size and ships in UPS flat-rate boxes to keep the cost down.

Here are some pics I took when I did the work

binch

This is the stuff I used.   Available out of Lethbridge.......   Similar Idea I suppose....using the mass to deaden the sound and convert it to heat.

http://www.b-quiet.com/products/b-quiet-ultimate-50sqft
Cheers, Bill

Already a Rover

oh, that's right, we had this conversation!  I thought you were asking if you should buy.

B-Red

I have a big role of Generator housing noise dampener. I was planning on using it on Tigger. However, I am moving in a different direction. Pm me if interested.