S3 Tranny Anywhere out there?

Started by Already a Rover, December 01, 2015, 10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Already a Rover

Ooops, posted in the wrong section.  Looking for an S3 tranny, or failing that perhaps pay someone to rebuild the original.  Any shops you recommend?

Jim

Red90

Fix it yourself.  It is a Series Land Rover.  Meant to be repaired in the bush by an untrained monkey.

Already a Rover

I'll take that as encouragement, John.

I'm doing enough fixing as it is, believe-me!   

I'm not good with manuals however and an S3 IS an improvement, so don't be shy all you S3-owners out there!!

Otherwise, where do I get a rebuild kit from?  I might take a stab at it.

Jim

binch

Ashcrofts sells them I think.....
Cheers, Bill

camo388

I'm just saying that many people feel the 2A transmission is stronger than a 3.
The 3 has syncro between 1st and 2nd which makes shifting easier, but this becomes the weak point of the transmission.
Owners going from a gas engine to a diesel are advised to use a 2A transmission.
There are so many variables from weight of right foot, speed shifting to keep up to rush hour city traffic, size and width of tires, road/off road ground conditions, weight and wheel base of vehicle etc, etc, that this is a general opinion only.
The choice is yours.
Far easier to look at transmission while you have it out of the vehicle and it is not a complicated piece of machinery.  Not much more to do than look at gear tooth wear and condition of bearings.

Bruce

Already a Rover

Thanks Bruce, I hadn't heard that before.  I want to prevent a failure, not make it more likely.  Also good to know you don't think it is that hard. 

Looking on Ashcrofts' website, but don't know which tranny - don't see mine in there, but don't know the number offhand.

Engine Jack died tonight, gotta go out and fix it.

Jim

Already a Rover

Nobody told me you 'can't' take the engine out with transmission attached....

camo388

You can't on a 2A as the transmission crossmember is fixed to the frame.  It wasn't until Series 3 that LR made the crossmember removable.
In my case the tranny was already in place so just drop in engine and bolt everything together.  Easier said then done so after fighting alignment for a while, figured get it all out and assemble on the floor.  Now time to put back as 1 piece.  Nearly there but not quite.  Pull all out, remove obstruction and try inserting again. >:(  Repeat this step several more times  >: :( >:( and with a little prying and twisting finally in. 
Even with a gantry crane didn't have enough lift so needed to flatten front tires and finally remove front wheels for engine to clear breakfast/rad mount.
I was working alone so this may or may not have helped but at least no one saw the air turn blue with fits of rage. >:( >:(
I modified Craig's 2A frame so that his transmission cross member can be removed.  Not hard at all when we had a bare frame to work with and the gantry crane can roll it over no sweat.
You may just and I mean just, be able to insert engine and tranny as 1 piece if there is some way to keep it all at the right level.  Maybe with 2 or 3 people where one person can guide and control tranny while second person controls engine end and 3rd operates the hoist.

Bruce

Already a Rover

Hi Bruce,

Wow, and by-yourself.

Yup, I did it, but wouldn't do it again.  Had to remove the shift-mechanism cover, drain plug from the transfer case to give a little more clearance on the crossmember and - yes - the oil pan.  As it was, there was a little scrape to get it though the tunnel, but quite minor. 

camo388

Needless to say it was a frustrating job.  And like you, the smallest thing is what got hung up.  That transfer drain plug caused a lot of grief as engine/tranny was nearly in place but to remove plug meant pulling engine/tranny back out to where I would be able to catch the oil.

I have in mind to replace 2.25 gas engine with a 2.5 diesel which means I get to do engine & tranny removal and insert all over again.  Woo Hoo! :'( :'(
And then insert 2.25 back into a second Lightweight.  Woo Hoo some more.

Matt H

You guys know on pretty much all Series LR's the gearbox is supposed to come out seperatly through the floor right? Makes the job a lot simpler. You can even just back it off a few inches and install a new clutch without totally removing it this way.
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Red90

A log, some vines and a couple of guys. 

Red90

camo388

Quote from: Matt H on December 04, 2015, 12:51 PM
You guys know on pretty much all Series LR's the gearbox is supposed to come out seperatly through the floor right?

What is the fun it that?  What are you going to discover by following the crowd? ::) ;D
In my case, it was a one man operation and I wanted to test out my gantry hoist.

Already a Rover

Yes, I know that NOW.  I trusted someone-else's advice instead of reading the manual.  I'm not good with manuals, tend to use them only when I have a problem.

Jim