Series 1 Steering box troubles

Started by Gardenome, October 12, 2015, 06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardenome

I have been struggling with this disassembly for weeks now. Many tries and retries. Scouring the Internet and the series one forum couldn't help me find a solution. Even Malcolm was at a loss. Eventually, I got frustrated enough and took a hammer to it. A big hammer. Some breakage of the bakelight but the steering tube finally came out.

Next challenge is the steering wheel but I'm just glad to finally have some success.

The tube mushroomed so bad I had to cut it off.

Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B-Red

I can't visualize the location of the tube. How does it relate to the steering column and steering wheel?

By the way, a Land Rover enthusiast always keeps a hammer handy....like Mr Red and Green would say: Your wife may not find you Hanson, but she can count on you to Hammer your way through  ;D

Gardenome

The tube goes down the center of the steering column. The horn and dip switch wires travel down inside.

binch

Yowsa!!!!!   That did mushroom out didn't it?     Was it just rusted into place or was there some other reason for the difficulty? ???
Cheers, Bill

ugly_90

Good to see Ian, frustration is the mother of progress. What's the new plan? Will a complete swap with series 2 steering assembly fit in?

Gardenome

No rust at all. Nice shiny tube came out. The replacement tube is slightly smaller and slides in and out no problem. Solder job on the horn switch was poor.

binch

Cheers, Bill

Gardenome

I have some small cracks in my steering shaft bracket that need some welding love. Anyone in the Edmonton area that can help me out?