S2a SWB Wagon: 22K (obo)

Started by Already a Rover, November 26, 2023, 08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Already a Rover

After 15-years of blood, sweat and gears it is time to move and there will be no Shop, so time to find a new home.  Thanks to all on here for their occasional help and advice, Growler is all the better for it, and will likely outlive me.

Here are some pictures.  I will post more, along with a written more-or-less full description of the vehicle on another post.  What you cannot see in the pictures is the new frame and engine which was rebuilt with the 9:1 ported head, performance cam and bigger exhaust.  A Sniper EFI was added two summers ago.  Not more than 15,000 miles on rebuild, as it has never left the province and is only used for fishing trips.  Growler seems to get about 25mpg, even at 70+mph.  Built for Alberta Winters, it all runs great, everything works, will do 80mph no problem.  Would likely make the drive to just about anywhere if you want to drive it home.

A ton of painstaking work (and money) has gone into fixing, maintaining and improving Growler over the years, always going the extra mile. If interested in more information or pictures, is available.  I've listed it in a few other places, and if it doesn't sell, will be going on Bring A Trailer.

Already a Rover

A general history of the vehicle: 
Purchased in approx. 2008.  PO bought it for his wife around 2000 from somewhere on Vancouver Island, and she was promptly hit hard on the front quarter. He took the insurance money, stripped it down, and put a new galvanized frame on it (which he also undercoated). He went through it, fixed everything mechanically and rewired everything, adding a period clock and tach. He did a kind-of crappy body and paint-job on the outside (NICE on inside), but the truck was in darn good shape except for the engine.  Still difficult to find a square inch of rust on the frame anywhere.

The PO assembled a bit of a book documenting the history of the vehicle (original stickers, other stuff I don't care about), and the repairs he did.  Also provided Haynes and Land Rover Repair Manuals, a Land Rover Parts Book (really!), and several boxes of spare parts, many of them new.

The Seller has done all of the work himself, but final assembly of the engine and transmission was done with the assistance of a retired Land Rover mechanic.

Outside

New tires and rims for a nice(r) ride...
Added aftermarket fender flares due to wider tires
It now has a few minor dents, and the paint has peeled in a few places (brake fluid).
Paintwise, as-above.  However both doors were blistering on the bottom when purchased.  Rust-Proofed inside doors and replaced all window felts.  In 15-years the rust hasn't changed a bit (but have the repair panels)
Comes with a "Lady's step" but took it off
Locking gas cap
Protective film on headlight lenses.

Mechanical

Rebuilt 2.25l (Approx. 10,000mi on rebuild)
•   9:1 gas-flowed head
•   Performance cam
•   Bored-out, new pistons, rings etc...
•   Crank ground and re-bearinged
•   New clutch
•   Block painted to match the truck
•   2" exhaust
•   Pointless ignition
•   Trans rebuilt w new bearings and synchro (twice, but that's another story)

(At the time of the rebuild there was not a single other mechanical issue requiring attention)

•   Holly Sniper EFI added several years later
•   New drive shaft and drive gears added with EFI
•   Master and wheel cylinders all replaced fairly recently; drums and all pads good
•   Recently re-cored Tropical (bigger) rad
•   Overdrive
•   Removed two springs front and back to reduce road-sensing suspension
o   Still have old springs "new" (replaced by the PO)
•   Steering is right and right
•   Windshield washer added
•   Adjustable-height LR-Style trailer hitch, wiring all good.

Inside

•   The paint in the interior is really nice – everywhere.
•   Seats 98% (one recently redone)
•   Custom aluminum console replaces middle seat – very functional
•   Full one piece sound/heat-proofing heavy-duty floor mat
•   Custom made (?) Insulated head-liner front and back
•   Custom made (?) Front/Back partition - the heater loves this (repaired, but still awesome)
•   Custom made (?) Insulated door panels
•   Kodiak II heater (the good one)
•   $600 worth of sound-dampening panels on or under virtually every flat surface
•   All new window felts installed (hours....)
•   3-point seat belts
•   Steering wheel repaired and painted, but covered with hockey tape because it works better that way.
•   Gimbal-mounted cupholder
•   Cool speakers added, never got around to the radio, but have one.
•   Rear seats removed and all redone with expensive soundproofing mat on top of the other sound-proofing, and trimmed-off nicely – very, very functional, and dare I say, quiet
•   Gun/fishing-rod/storage rack.

Electrical
Dizzy rebuilt and recurved by Jeff at Advanced Distributors, with magnetic "points"
Alternator – new.  Mounted using wading kit so it is higher up (won't get wet)
Period Tach, Clock and Voltmeter added
All new wiring by PO; Growler has only ever had a couple (one?) minor electrical issues
•   Fuel guage is a bit off, but Empty works
New fuse boxes installed, with relay
Wired for boom crane on trailer

Other
LR and Haynes manuals, parts manual, books about Rovers,
Original documentation, stuff I don't care about, but can provide more info if you like.
3 boxes full of spare parts including repair panels for doors, new door seals, original replacement lenses, lots brand new, much useful stuff.

Also have well taken care of 4' x 8' trailer with boom crane, all painted to match ($2k).

Too dark to take more pics, please ask if there is something specific you want to see.  We could even do a video phone call thingie.

Jim

Already a Rover

Matt H

Great to hear. I've known this one for a long time and is a really solid unit. Do you mind if I ask if it's staying in Alberta?
No Road Except For Land-Rover.

Already a Rover

Hi Matt,

Yes, it will almost certainly last longer than I will.  Assuming all goes well, it is headed back to BC where it came from 20 years or so again.  To someone who has had a few Series before and knows what he is getting. 

Jim